The most important thing in Martial Arts to me...

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has taught me methods that allow me to protect others as well as myself in my calling but this to me is not the most important thing.

If I wish to do either I must be grounded, I must be accepting of the world around me. When I am at my school, the stress any adult feels...work, financial, relationship, it is gone. I am embraced by the flow. It is like a mantra in meditation but instead of sound it is movement.

The peace it brings, even with "aggressive" arts like Kali and Wing Chun, make everything else easier.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think I find something beyond basic self defense (which was a goal goal) I find

Comradery and a feeling of iron sharpening iron with my class mates.

A feeling of balance and body coordination (cross the brain boundary)

An "embracing" of conflict/violence/pain - not liking it - not fearing it - something more like a calm "being with it"

And yes I do normally find the worried of the day gone afterwards... :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enter the door of the dojo, empty the cup.

That cup probably had a bunch of life stuff in it, like bills, kids, health, the mortgage, the kid down the road eyeing your daughter, that bald rear tire on your vehicle, the dobarmans next door, whatever...

But then it empties as you walking into your training hall, and peace begins to be restored.

Even if you're practicing slam-bam judo for next weekend's tournament.

I always feel better right when I get inside.

Latest Discussions