The mental benefits of performing hyung?

F

foggymorning162

I think this has gotten away from the original topic which was the mental benefits. Practicing forms does help you to learn to put moves together and in my opinion it is also a form of meditation. As for allowing a student to make up forms like I said they aren't added to the corriculum it's just an exercise in learning to connect moves and figuring out what will work together. On the other hand I don't think there is anything wrong with adding to the art of TSD.

Tlaloc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
May be fine for you, and I won't deny sometimes just fooling around and connecting moves together, but I still don't like the idea of having students (myself included) making up forms. Pretty much all the techniques you need to know from TSD can be found in its hyung, so adding anything to that is pretty much useless.

I really respect and to a great deal, share your thoughts on keeping TSD a thing of tradition.

I do feel, however, that to a degree making up "forms" in one way can be beneficial. I've noticed that the downside of the same 4 forms that I know currently over and over again does have a dangerous disadvantage to watch out for. When you lock yourself into the same pattern, you lose your ability to be spontaneous, which can be a problem when your instructor makes you do drills involving random patterns of blocks, kicks, and strikes that you've never really done before. Despite my feeling that making up a form or so can have its benefits for an individual student, I definitely would not want to see TSD being warped by having "Master Joe Smith from Nowheresville, Kentucky's Form 17" be added to the standard TSD cirriculum, if you know what I mean.

ASIDE: From what I've seen, I get the feeling that alot of students these days don't really understand the full impact of the actual Hyungs- seeing them as just mere patterns of strikes and blocks put together to look really cool. If they were just that, then I'm pretty sure everyone would be learning Bassai Dai by the time they were at orange belt.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been using my hyungs as a form of meditation and cardio for my daily morning workouts. I find that if I work my forms one after another with only a breath or two in between, I get a good warm up going. I also enjoy the difficulty of concentrating on disciplining my mind for that longer period of time.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed UpNorthKyosa....My new favorite workout is running through all of my forms back to back in random order. I find that since I learned them in a specific order and my practice builds based on that (i.e. practice Kicho 1 for 2 months, then practice Kicho 1 AND Kicho 2 for 2 months, then Kicho 1, 2, AND 3 for 2 months...etc), it helps to work them out of order to keep my mind sharp. I had been running them back back to over and over in the order that I learned them and I realized that after a few months of doing this, it was taking more concentration to do them OUT of order.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really respect and to a great deal, share your thoughts on keeping TSD a thing of tradition.

I do feel, however, that to a degree making up "forms" in one way can be beneficial. I've noticed that the downside of the same 4 forms that I know currently over and over again does have a dangerous disadvantage to watch out for. When you lock yourself into the same pattern, you lose your ability to be spontaneous, which can be a problem when your instructor makes you do drills involving random patterns of blocks, kicks, and strikes that you've never really done before. Despite my feeling that making up a form or so can have its benefits for an individual student, I definitely would not want to see TSD being warped by having "Master Joe Smith from Nowheresville, Kentucky's Form 17" be added to the standard TSD cirriculum, if you know what I mean.

ASIDE: From what I've seen, I get the feeling that alot of students these days don't really understand the full impact of the actual Hyungs- seeing them as just mere patterns of strikes and blocks put together to look really cool. If they were just that, then I'm pretty sure everyone would be learning Bassai Dai by the time they were at orange belt.

Wait till you learn more hyung; you'll start to see that there's a lot more to find each time you perform one. I'm always finding things to tweak and correct in my technique, but I'm also always seeing new things that could follow from any one technique.

Give it time; you'll see why I have such respect for the hyung as they are.

Latest Discussions