The Martial Arts BS to English Guide

Discussion in 'The Great Debate' started by The Last Legionary, Aug 12, 2008.

1. MBuzzy

MBuzzy Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    You've trained me, I'm military. So you've trained military.

2. morph4me

morph4me Goin' with the flow

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Wow, hadn't thought of that. I can put that together with all of the seminars I've been to with big name martial artists say I've been trained by them and impress all the people who haven't got a clue. I could be a contender :uhyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep Senior Master

You mean I can't say I trained military just because I got pulled over by a cop for speeding on the way to the dojang?? *

*yes, did happen once

4. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Oo oo I'm all excited now because I've realise I can put on my profile and make me hugely respected among all the Grandmasters that I train the military!! perhaps I am a Grandmaster now lol!
    We have a lot of military in our classes but they are the same as everyone else, they train either MMA or TSD, no military stuff, as they said they've come either to learn TMA or to train for an MMA fight, they get enough military stuff 'at work'. The Forces here have several martial arts clubs where they teach the traditional arts, judo is popular as is TKD and karate. The military stuff is taught by military instructors only to military only. It's easy to pick out someone who hasn't been in the military who claims he taught the SAS everything they know lol! for one thing it's easy to drink them under the table!

5. tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Why is it no one ever says “ I train those that are insane jackasses, down right bullies, and anyone who wants to buy rank”?
    Oh that's right it would not look good but I am sure we can translate that backwards to proper Martial Arts BS

6. Archangel M

Archangel M Senior Master

I think that our media driven, advertising centered society plays a part in all of this. Everybody is looking for an angle to out sell the other guy. When you start trying to make a living, or at least a buck off of MA stuff like this starts happening. I suppose pure ego has to be part of the equation as well.

7. The Master

The Master Bow Before Me.

A most entertaining and enjoyable read, spot on in many ways.

8. Gentle Fist

Gentle Fist Master Black Belt

You need to add that they claim to be world renowed yet they have never left the state of Nebraska...

Good Stuff

9. Kreth

Kreth Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I'd like to add one to the list:

"Uses Sensei/Soke/Shihan/Sabumnim or other title of respect as part of an online username."

I don't understand the proper use of these terms, therefore I will use them as my username to reflect my martial awesomeness.

10. sjansen

sjansen Orange Belt

I can think of only one grand master who has not made any of these claims and that is Grand Master Flash. Oh, I forgot the Mason's Grand Master. Are all GMs full of crap? Although the post is true for BS people it has the same for legitimate masters. This would make Ed Parker, Bruce Lee and Edgar Sulite and many more all BS!

11. Guro Harold

Guro Harold Senior Master

• Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Hey!!!!!!!!!!:)

12. Kreth

Kreth Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I can't speak for FMAs, but Sensei and Shihan are titles of respect. It would be incorrect for me to refer to myself as "Sensei Jeff," let alone the fact that even for my students, the proper form would be "Velten Sensei." From the CMA and KMA folks I've talked with, Sifu and Sabumnim are used similarly.

13. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Guro's a rank/title I believe.

Course, all this stuff doesn't apply to me. Just call my "Your Highness", and it's all good. :)

14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    I can't speak for the rest but I do not believe Bruce Lee ever referred to himself as a Grandmaster and I do not think he ever had his students call him Grandmaster either, but then I could be wrong.

My Taiji sifu has people try and call him grandmaster every now and then but he always says the same pretty much the thing, "I am not a grandmaster” You see his background tells him to be a grandmaster you have to have been a martial artist for many years and you have to be dead. He once told me “Grandmasters are old dead guys”

Just because a student calls someone a grandmaster does not mean the sifu believes he is one or wants to be called that.

Personally I was considering to changing my name form Xue Sheng to "Lord High Omnipotent Ruler, Grand Master and Evil Wizard of Xuefu" but it was too much to type every time I log in :D

15. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I think a good way to tell if you're maybe over inflating yourself a bit is if your title take up one side of your business card by itself.

Do you really need to be a great supreme grand soke dai?

Then again, do you really need the ermine gi with rhinestone encrusted silk embroidered belt?

:)

16. Kreth

Kreth Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    For some reason, those over-inflated titles remind of the ridiculous purebred dog names, like Sir Winston Altamont Taffington of Northshire (for a dog about the size of a guinea pig). :rolleyes:

17. matt.m

matt.m Senior Master

I am not naming names or organizations. However, I know of 4 men....Some in the martial arts world and others who are in the muscle and fitness business. They claim to have taught the U.S. Marine Corps. However, in truth they paid a lot of money to the Marine Corps Relief Fund to help needy Marines and Sailors aboard the Marine Corps installation, held a conference did a few technique planned photo op kind of stuff and well that was that.

Notice they always want to use Quantico for their fake staging. This is where the FBI and Marine Corps Officer Training is. So they can do photo ops in the presence of the FBI and help their cause as well.

The Marine Corps has been all in house with L.I.N.E. and M.C.M.A.P. However, in the time of the Korean and Vietnam war the Marines were learning Yudo, Tae Kwon Do, and Hapkido. Oh yeah from the Korean's themselves.

I agree with Mbuzzy here, if it comes to the military it is in house or a little help from advisors. Look at the Army's recruiting scheme. They have more or less adopted BJJ as their choice of fighting in combat gear. Then when they show the tournament on Spike Tv, they wear shorts and shoes.....not full battle attire and fight like MMA cage fighters.

I only really have this to say, "I am a brown belt in hapkido. I have been training in hapkido in some way shape or form since 1984 when I went to my first formal class." I would almost bet I am one of the longest practitioners of hapkido not to hold a dan ranking." That is ok, I know my technique to a fault and that is what it is all about.

18. Kreth

Kreth Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I could have a hell of a resume if I wanted to pad like this, considering I've had a student who was on the NY State Police SWAT equivalent, and another who was a West Point Cadet. :rolleyes:

19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Of course not....It would need to have flashing Christmas lights as well :D

20. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Wait.....I just realized I might have described Elvis! LOL!