The Legalization of Marijuana

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
The real problem is that there are some nutty judges who slap really bad people on the wrist and lock up some kid for a dime bag of weed.
Just when I thought we had no common ground. Agreed

R

raedyn

Flatlander said:
Weed is (currently) a criminal industry. You can remove the product, but the criminal remains. They simply find another way to earn their cheddar. Decriminalization of marijuana will not change the tendency of lawbreakers to disrespect the law.
There are two kinds of people invovled in this black market economy. People whose primary motivation is profit (or who are law-breakers anyway), and people who just want some marijuana.

The first kind of people will simply move on to other profitable industry. They are in it for a buck, they don't care about the laws, many specifically have contempt for laws, police & the justice system. These are your higher level dealers, many involved in gangs, your "criminal element".

The second kind of people (for example, my uncle who has Multiple Sclerosis and self-medicates with marijuana, or the peace loving hippie throwback to the 60's art teacher at my high school) aren't the "criminal type". They are generally law-abiding citizens that don't involve themselves in the rest of the seedy bits of society. They are nervous dealing with violent criminals, they don't want their money supporting gangs. Maybe they have a few plants growing in the basement to support their own habit and stay out of the shadier circles. They wouldn't kill anyone to protect their stash, they wouldn't steal to suppor their habit.

Personally, I've met more marijuana users that fall into the second group -- but that might be a function of me not hanging out with gangs and ex-cons and that crowd very much.

The first kind of people will be criminals no matter the status of marijuana legislation. Why is it that the scond kind of people should be lumped in with "criminals" that we paint as big bad evil people? There's little difference between someone who smokes marijuana and someone who smokes cigarettes, except one of them can go to the corner store to get their product of choice, supporting legal businesses, paying taxes, and knowing they're getting a consistent product and consistent value while the other one must fend for themselves on the black market. There is a difference between people who smoke marijuana or cigarettes and people who smoke crack, though. I believe the harder drugs should remain illegal.

The generally law-abiding citizens should be given a legitimate avenue to obtain their drug of choice, just as cigarette smokers and alcohol drinkers have. It should come with limits about where and when it can be used, who can purchase it, etc. Just like tobacco and alcohol. Responsible adults should be able to make the choice for themselves and then police and prison resources could be dedicated to more dangerous and nefarious criminals.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are two kinds of people invovled in this black market economy. People whose primary motivation is profit (or who are law-breakers anyway), and people who just want some marijuana.
Yes, but each are still breaking the law. Until the laws are changed, you play the game and take your chances. Dont be shocked if you get arrested. Expecting to be exempt from the law because you are really a "good person" just isnt going to fly in my book.

R

raedyn

Tgace said:
Yes, but each are still breaking the law. Until the laws are changed, you play the game and take your chances. Dont be shocked if you get arrested. Expecting to be exempt from the law because you are really a "good person" just isnt going to fly in my book.
I agree. That's why I suggest the laws should be changed.

D

Deuce

Then you have cops who come to your apartment because of a noise complaint and find a pipe filled with pot sitting in plain view by your front door, and pretend not to see it. Actually he picked it up, sniffed it, then put it back down.

I think he realized that we were just university students having a little party on a Friday night, drinking beer and smoking a little weed. We may have been a bit loud, but we showed respect to the officers and asured them we would settle down. No charges or fines were issued. Maybe he thought the paper work and the hassle wasn't worth the crime. Maybe he was just in a good mood and gave us a break. Who knows. But it does show that pot is becoming less of a concern for even police officers (at least one anyway).

It's sort of becoming like underage drinking I think. They're both illegal, many people do it, and even law enforcement may turn a blind eye if the people invloved are being responsible about it.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Re: Deuce's last post -

(humorous / sarcastic logical syllogism follows)

Someone called to complain about the noise. Noone called to complain about the pot. Therefore, pot is less harmful / bothersome to people than noise is.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Deuce said:
Then you have cops who come to your apartment because of a noise complaint and find a pipe filled with pot sitting in plain view by your front door, and pretend not to see it. Actually he picked it up, sniffed it, then put it back down.

I think he realized that we were just university students having a little party on a Friday night, drinking beer and smoking a little weed. We may have been a bit loud, but we showed respect to the officers and asured them we would settle down. No charges or fines were issued. Maybe he thought the paper work and the hassle wasn't worth the crime. Maybe he was just in a good mood and gave us a break. Who knows. But it does show that pot is becoming less of a concern for even police officers (at least one anyway).

It's sort of becoming like underage drinking I think. They're both illegal, many people do it, and even law enforcement may turn a blind eye if the people invloved are being responsible about it.
Thats what happens when its decriminalized. In my state I dont "have" to arrest somebody for an offense thats not a felony or misdemeanor. Simple possession here is a violation. The penal law equivalent of a traffic ticket. I can still arrest you if I catch you with it, but discretion can come into effect.

Moral of the story, be polite and non-argumentative. It can go a long way.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Thats what happens when its decriminalized. In my state I dont "have" to arrest somebody for an offense thats not a felony or misdemeanor. Simple possession here is a violation. The penal law equivalent of a traffic ticket. I can still arrest you if I catch you with it, but discretion can come into effect.

Moral of the story, be polite and non-argumentative. It can go a long way.
You mean getting in a cops face and arguing over about every little claim he makes isn't the best way to get off?