The Latest Issue of WMA Illustrated

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
WMA is an outstanding publication. If you have any interest in Western Martial arts, it is a must.

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WMA Illustrated is a milestone publication and it is definitely worth subscribing too. The only warning I would give is that it represents a very small shapshot of the centuries that are spanned when one looks at the Western Martial Arts. If you are interested in Rennaissance and Medieval aspects you will find this publication worthwhile. If your tastes fall into the ancient and 18th/19th Century you may not see as much of this as you would like. Thank goodness that Tony Wolf is on the board and keeps that genera material on the burner. As with every publication take a close look at the repeat authors and what is being said and when the negatives start popping up pass over them and enjoy the rest of the magazine.

All My Best Dwight

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it's great to have Tony there. I enjoyed the article on Navaja.

Supposedly Tiim's review of my book will be in the forthcoming edition of WMAI.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, let me make a bit of a retraction here.....went back and looked at some of the latestest issues and actually they have a pretty good balance now. I see that the section on physical culture is there and some good stuff on boxing and Victorian era stuff. When this magazine was first being considered I was afraid that it might get caught up in the 'Longsword Cool-Aid' crowd but it apparently has not. At any rate good luck to this magazine.

Best
Dwight

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's still a fairly new publication so I think they're doing well at stricking a balance this early. Hopefully, the page count will expand and the diversity of authors will continue. The Western arts are a very broad field and there's much to explore.

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
David: Your absolutely right. I should have checked out the back issues before running my big mouth on a public forum. I'm afraid that I let some of the discussions made when I was on that advisory board influence my thoughts that nothing was going to change and we would have another "Sword-Fighting" magazine that would not completely represent the WMA. Obviously that HAS NOT OCCURRED...Hurray ! Oh well, I've been known to make an '***' of myself before. At any rate Scott Baltic has done a really remarkable job putting this together and making it a go. I certainly hope it grows and becomes very successuful.

All My Best
Dwight

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
David: Your absolutely right. I should have checked out the back issues before running my big mouth on a public forum. I'm afraid that I let some of the discussions made when I was on that advisory board influence my thoughts that nothing was going to change and we would have another "Sword-Fighting" magazine that would not completely represent the WMA. Obviously that HAS NOT OCCURRED...Hurray ! Oh well, I've been known to make an '***' of myself before. At any rate Scott Baltic has done a really remarkable job putting this together and making it a go. I certainly hope it grows and becomes very successuful.

All My Best
Dwight

We certainly won't hold it against you Dwight, especially considering the quality of your work! Hope to see some articles by you in WMA.

David

Latest Discussions