The latest big bare knuckle fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

They still seem to be hitting each other in the head pretty hard considering bare knuckle is supposed to limit that.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
upload_2019-4-8_22-1-50.jpeg Post fight photo

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would've expected a more defensive approach to a bareknuckle fight

But it seems like this is the encouraged outcome after watching a promotor talking about purse cuts in the ring after a more conservative match had taken place.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would've expected a more defensive approach to a bareknuckle fight

But it seems like this is the encouraged outcome after watching a promotor talking about purse cuts in the ring after a more conservative match had taken place.
Yeah that is not good at all. I'd love to see that punk get in the ring with the guy who's money he stole. I gurNtee he'd be running like usain bolt.

Plus that's got to be illegal

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a fan of it. I've heard rumours of a lot of dodgy dealings including fighters not being paid months after the event. Plus the damage. People can say what they want about the gloves being more dangerous but knuckles are solid and sharp and having pure knuckles smashing into your face for 5 rounds is not good no matter how you look at it. Plus the damage to the hands and the cuts it causes. It's just in general a bad idea. Honestly all the big names in that league are either below average UFC fighters or boxers no ones heard of. I don't believe it'll last and I don't think it should.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it'll last

It's been going on in the UK for many years, most often traveller/gypsies but plenty of people go and even compete. Probably the same people that go to watch badger baiting and dog fights. :(

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been going on in the UK for many years, most often traveller/gypsies but plenty of people go and even compete. Probably the same people that go to watch badger baiting and dog fights. :(
Anything like the movie Snatch?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that I am condoning the fights without the safety equipment. But, it would be interesting to track and see how many injuries to the hands and how the sport would evolve (if at all) as time goes on. If we think about the past, it evolved from more body punching due to the length of the matches and not having timed rounds like we do today, as well as low kicks and throws from the clinch. As those were removed and bigger gloves put in place, the tactics and guard have adapted to maximize those things into what we have today. Today's bareknuckle matches are starting from that point of boxing evolution. OR, we could find out that the old bareknuckle matches were more conservative and a fighter can still do more head hunting and the sport won't change much.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything like the movie Snatch?
I haven't seen it I'm afraid, read the synopsis and it doesn't sound like it because the traveller fights are within their community, not connected to gangsters etc. Traveller/gypsy culture is very macho, girls leave school at about 13/14 and are expected to marry young, have kids etc. The men are the breadwinners ( according to many they are thieves or at the least dodgy) and bareknuckle fighting is often considered a way to sort out differences or just because they want to boast of being the best! There's loads of traveller fights on You Tube.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not that I am condoning the fights without the safety equipment. But, it would be interesting to track and see how many injuries to the hands and how the sport would evolve (if at all) as time goes on. If we think about the past, it evolved from more body punching due to the length of the matches and not having timed rounds like we do today, as well as low kicks and throws from the clinch. As those were removed and bigger gloves put in place, the tactics and guard have adapted to maximize those things into what we have today. Today's bareknuckle matches are starting from that point of boxing evolution. OR, we could find out that the old bareknuckle matches were more conservative and a fighter can still do more head hunting and the sport won't change much.

I know of boxers breaking hands striking to to body. They catch the top of the thumb on an elbow. And that is though gloves.

I don't think body punching is all that safe for hands

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They still seem to be hitting each other in the head pretty hard considering bare knuckle is supposed to limit that.
Apparently it's possible to hit hard with bare hands (I think most of us knew that). But most people are more likely to be willing to put more power into a padded punch with a glove. I haven't figured out a way to measure it (even roughly), but I think I actually hit a heavy bag harder with my "hardest punch" if I'm wearing a glove. And in sparring, people tend to open up more when using gloves (and are a bit more willing to take the hits), in my experience.

I can't speak to what's "normal" in bare knuckle competition.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently it's possible to hit hard with bare hands (I think most of us knew that). But most people are more likely to be willing to put more power into a padded punch with a glove. I haven't figured out a way to measure it (even roughly), but I think I actually hit a heavy bag harder with my "hardest punch" if I'm wearing a glove. And in sparring, people tend to open up more when using gloves (and are a bit more willing to take the hits), in my experience.

I can't speak to what's "normal" in bare knuckle competition.
Some bars have those "boxing bag" challenges where you punch a speedbag and it measures the power. You could find one of those to test it.