Reaction score
so i've got 6 for Karate kid
5 for Rocky so far.

this is interesting.

anyone else?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
corrollary question for those who voted for karate kid..

are you voting for daniel-san, or are you voting for mr. miyagi?

there should be a movie where mr. miyagi trains rocky balboa. it would be a spectacle of awesomeness like the world has never seen.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a neat question. See I am with zDom, Danny asked for a lot of what he got. Miyagi was cool. I can see KK actually somewhat plausible, Rocky not so much.

However, let's consider this: KK was based loosely on what was supposed to have really happened. Rocky I it is said to have been loosely based on some no name fighting Ali and going the distance.

If you watch KK and Rocky, they are both underdog stories. However, KK is going back to the well in II and III with the same formula's. Stallone has said that II, III, IV, and V were told as Adrians story.

So, in effect the beating etc. was how she saw it, on and on.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so i've got 6 for Karate kid
5 for Rocky so far.

this is interesting.

anyone else?

There IS no accounting for some peoples taste in movies...A good question would be how many kids RAN bowlegged to the nearest Dojo after seeing the KK believeing that they too would have black belts in a few months????

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There IS no accounting for some peoples taste in movies...A good question would be how many kids RAN bowlegged to the nearest Dojo after seeing the KK believeing that they too would have black belts in a few months????

I think if it brought people to the martial arts, its a good thing. Who cares if they were brought to it from a movie? they found out it was tougher than it looked in the Karate Kid, then they quit.. others probably stayed and are decent martial artists.
My motivation for starting Goju Ryu was the power rangers, that doesn't mean I wasent suprised to find that it actually hurts when you get hit and not everything is like TV. I stayed though, and martial arts had a new meaning for me.

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
corrollary question for those who voted for karate kid..

are you voting for daniel-san, or are you voting for mr. miyagi?

there should be a movie where mr. miyagi trains rocky balboa. it would be a spectacle of awesomeness like the world has never seen.

I voted for the entire Karate Kid movie. but yes that level of awesomness would not be able to be contained in one film. It would NEED a sequel.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Josh,

That is funny and not suprising that you said that it was Power Rangers that got you into martial arts.

Honestly, over the summer my dad made a comment to that effect. His words were, "A lot of kids see these cartoons and are ready to tear it up."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think if it brought people to the martial arts, its a good thing. Who cares if they were brought to it from a movie? they found out it was tougher than it looked in the Karate Kid, then they quit.. others probably stayed and are decent martial artists.

I agree..Pat Morita knew nothing about the martial arts, yet HE and Mr Miyagi are credited for bringing MORE students to the MA..

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Josh,

That is funny and not suprising that you said that it was Power Rangers that got you into martial arts.

Honestly, over the summer my dad made a comment to that effect. His words were, "A lot of kids see these cartoons and are ready to tear it up."

Yeah, I didn't get my *** kicked *** a kid. I don't have any serious story to have made me want to start karate. I'm not going to lie, I was a little kid.. it wasent for spiritual reasons. It looked fun. I think the reason someone starts Karate or any martial art is irrelevant. I think what matters is what makes them stay.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
gotta respectfully disagree.

if they don't start, they can't stay.

what makes folks start karate is even more important than what makes them stay.

now, if you asked me which part was more interesting and enjoyable i'd have to go with what makes 'em stay.

but like i said, if they don't start you never get to find out what makes 'em stay.

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
gotta respectfully disagree.

if they don't start, they can't stay.

what makes folks start karate is even more important than what makes them stay.

now, if you asked me which part was more interesting and enjoyable i'd have to go with what makes 'em stay.

but like i said, if they don't start you never get to find out what makes 'em stay.

my point was that if cartoons, video games, tv shows or movies was your motivation to start martial arts, in the long run it can only be a good thing. anyone disappointed that they arnt doing 2353253 back flips in .5 seconds will soon see the exit. the rest will come to understand martial arts and enjoy them. there is no harm in how you get into martial arts.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't a who would win in a fight thread. (though that would be cool)

I'm just curious to which movie you all thought was better, and why?
Rocky. They're essentially the same movie, but there levels of subtlety in Rocky's charcterization that I appreciate more. Daniel just comes off as a skinny twerp who ended up magically winning a tournament.

Better sequels too. Rocky killed communism. Daniel honked a dude's nose and eventually turned into a girl.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though I love Philly and have ran drunkenly up the Art Museum steps, stood in front of Geno's Steaks under the picture, and visited the philly zoo......I have to vote for Karate Kid.

Mainly because I used to get beat up as a kid. :)

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
2 great movies, I have "Gonna Fly Now" and "You're The Best" both on my MP3 player when I work out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better sequels too. Rocky killed communism. Daniel honked a dude's nose and eventually turned into a girl.

Was not crazy about "Rocky IV",communists cheer the American who beat their champ and gave a "Why can't we all get along speeech"..Its a good thing he trusted his translator, otherwise the message might have been reworded and he NEVER would have made it back to the USA.."The Next Katate Kid"..Give me a flippin break...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think you appreciate the greatness of Rocky's victory. The force of his blows taught the audience English so he didn't need the translator at all. Then they all got hip robots butlers.

Latest Discussions