The Karate Kid vs Rocky

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This isn't a who would win in a fight thread. (though that would be cool)

I'm just curious to which movie you all thought was better, and why?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This isn't a who would win in a fight thread. (though that would be cool)

I'm just curious to which movie you all thought was better, and why?

Oh man, that's a tough choice. Both great movies. But I'm gonna have to go with The Karate Kid. I love that movie. (Yeah, I'm a dork) :D

I don't know why. I guess the whole martial arts, Mr. Miyagi, life lessons, underdog thing. (Yeah, I know, Rocky is an underdog movie too) Plus, the '80's cheese is priceless. :p

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate Kid wax on wax off paint the fence, those are some classic lines

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me its The Karate Kid too. Growing up I could relate to some of it. It's still one of my fav movies. just like the lion king and braveheart.
I lke corny movies with good messages, thus the Karate kid AND Rocky are amazing to me.

"Sweep the leg, Johnny"

hehehe

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd vote for Karate Kid. You could actually relate to that kid. 99.9% of people are never going to be as ripped as Sly (necessary for competing at that level, well at least strength wise), and almost noone is never going to have a realistic chance of winning a heavy weight championship. I could actually see a local kid entering a karate competition as an underdog and having a legit chance...

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems like Karate kid is the favorite so far.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man, that's a tough choice. Both great movies. But I'm gonna have to go with The Karate Kid. I love that movie. (Yeah, I'm a dork) :D

Ditto.

A lotta great lines in that flick; Mr. Miyagi is great. The Kobra Khan instructor's lines are hilarious :)

FWIW, I think Daniel-san DESERVED more than half the beatings he got, though :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both were excellent movies, but each one was enjoyable in its own way.

The original "Rocky" had me awash with that wave of emotion during the 14th and 15th rounds of the fight. I even uttered a "nooooo!!!!!" as the bell rang in the 15th round.

There wasn't any real parts of the movie, though, where I could actually chuckle.

"The Karate Kid" did have me smiling on several occasions, such as seeing Daniel getting run off the road, and taking a spill, as well as the scene where he puts the water hose over the toilet stall's wall.

Seeing the old man Miyagi make a fool of the bullies, also brought some chuckles to me (although it was really Shihan Fumio Demura doing the action scenes!).

Even funnier was seeing Martin Kove (the guy who played the role of John Kreese, the evil sensei) as the loud-mouthed bad guy, since Kove is actually a fairly soft-spoken character in real life, and from what I know, actually a nice guy.

BTW, here's the "Sweep the Leg" video from No More Kings' website (publicly viewable, no permissions needed, everything's OK, etc):

http://www.nomorekings.com/#/music_videos/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rocky!!!! No contest...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we have one for rocky! horay! what are you reasonings? care to share?

I hated the whole Karate Kid triolgy..Some little skinny kid is gonna stand in a ring and beat black belts after only a few months of training and mastering a Crane kata...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
rocky, for one reason.

daniel-san is a whiny little turd. rocky balboa has always stood for honorable perseverence. the world has enough whiny little turds in it without creating enduring movie characters.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rocky, for one reason.

daniel-san is a whiny little turd. rocky balboa has always stood for honorable perseverence. the world has enough whiny little turds in it without creating enduring movie characters.

EXCELLENT post....

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
HAHA... well I guess thats one way to look at it. I love Rocky too. I think some people would argue like you did about Daniel being whinny. On the other hand I think some people would argue that Rocky was never the sharpest tool in the toolbox and we already have enough stupid people.

I personally didnt think Daniel was whinny, and I didn't think Rocky was stupid.

I think Daniel was adjusting to a new place and got some help from an unlikely source.

I think that Rocky is the classic underdog story.

I think that both stories are a little far fetched.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the Rocky Anthology and haven't watched any karate kid flicks in 16 yrs. I am with Bushido, Danny was a whiner.

Latest Discussions