The Karate "Chop" and other "underrated" technques?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The capo is hips forward which gives it a bit extra pep. (ok this could also be a front kick i cant tell for sure.)

images

My instructor also uses more hip rotation than what is shown in that clip.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm...I'm not picturing that, at all, unless you're rotating your body through for the knee? Just to clarify, what we call a "Crescent" kick comes up one side (usually about shoulder-width between sides), across on a short arc, then down on the other side - we stay facing front for the entire kick. This is always done outside-to-inside (so right leg moves right-to-left). I'm not picturing that, at all, with a knee.

AH! I thought you were using the knee, not striking the knee! Much clearer that way.

Muay Thai curve knee:

Basically, you open your hips away from your opponent while raising your knee, then rotate your hips inwards so that the side of the knee joint impacts the target. Generally this is used from the clinch, so you will also pull your opponent into the strike.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muay Thai curve knee:

Basically, you open your hips away from your opponent while raising your knee, then rotate your hips inwards so that the side of the knee joint impacts the target. Generally this is used from the clinch, so you will also pull your opponent into the strike.
Ah, not one I've looked at before. I'll give that some experimentation when my hip heals up.

Reaction score
My favorite sparring technique is a sweep to a back fist. You sweep their leg by quickly hooking their achilles with your foot and then hit them with a back fist. The sweep is always a great distraction and the back fist often catches them off guard!

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite sparring technique is a sweep to a back fist. You sweep their leg by quickly hooking their achilles with your foot and then hit them with a back fist. The sweep is always a great distraction and the back fist often catches them off guard!
I LOVE THAT!!! The sweep is one of the most underrated techniques ever! It's easily one of the best things I learn from switching to Muay Thai to Shotokan!!

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Various techniques go through phases of popularity. When Pride was a viable MMA organization, folks were impressed with the power of the slap, Bas Rutten being a prime example. The slap has fallen out of popularity since then.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "leg twist" can be an underrated technique used in wrestling.

leg_twist_pic.jpg

If your opponent uses his right leg to twist on your right leg, it's very hard to get out of it the moment that your right knee is bending to your left.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is something i've been playing with...Is this a "practical" technique? I'm starting to think "yes".

For the longest time, i've wrote this technique off, thinking it couldn't generate power, You never see it done in a real fight or UFC, the angles were not right, ext, but then I started to play with it..

And I realized, this is the REAL DEAL!!! You can really generate a lot of power with it and create very good angles....the reason I think people write this off, is the learning curve is high....you have to develope hand strength and toughness to really make it work...

So now that I've seen the light, I was wondering, what techniques do you feel are underrated, or one that took you a while to see the light on?

The 'karate-chop' aka knife-hand strike aka EOH (edge of hand) strike is exceptionally effective. The term 'karate-chop' probable comes from Hollywood. Knife-hand strike from many karate circles and EOH from WWII Combatives (Fairbair, Applegate, Sykes, Nelson and O'Neill as a few examples). In fact, the EOH along with the chin jab are a staple of WWII combatives.

I've used this strike effectively while on-duty against numerous violent and out-of-control felons and it's simple and effective. My main target area is the side of the neck, sometimes referred to as the brachial plexus in some circles. Other good target areas are the temples, under the ear, behind the knee, kidneys, under the nose and of course the throat. The angle you find yourself in when attempting the strike determines the target area.

Some schools advocate thumb in while WWII combatives teaches thumb out. Either can and is effective.

One does not necessarily need to strike from an arcing motion. A short, linear motion can also generate quite enough power to be effective. Of course positioning and target area are vital to success.

This can/is used to set up further techniques such as unbalancing the attacker setting them up for a fall/throw/grab.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I LOVE THAT!!! The sweep is one of the most underrated techniques ever! It's easily one of the best things I learn from switching to Muay Thai to Shotokan!!

Never lose your love for sweeps. Ever. And don't stay stagnant on what you already do, explore more sweeps.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throat grabs are under rated. Because everybody thinks they are this.

rather than a variation of collar control.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throat grabs are under rated. Because everybody thinks they are this.

rather than a variation of collar control.

Interesting. I've never thought of a throat grab as collar control, but as a choke (which nobody but Darth Vader does with just one hand). Hmm...are you talking about a grip behind the neck, then?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. I've never thought of a throat grab as collar control, but as a choke (which nobody but Darth Vader does with just one hand). Hmm...are you talking about a grip behind the neck, then?

Front of the neck. Just not arm out straight like a gumby. And head wrestle. And arm control with the other hand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front of the neck. Just not arm out straight like a gumby. And head wrestle. And arm control with the other hand.
A bit foreign to my approach, but I think I'm picturing what you're describing. I need to experiment with that a bit, see how it feels when someone uses the neck that way and how it affects transitions to technique. I'm hoping to drop by my old school this week. Maybe a chance then, depending what they're working on.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A Karate Chop is a great technique in a real fight.

I have a friend that while fighting a guy high on PCP my friend ended up breaking both the guy's collarbones with Chopping techniques.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Karate Chop is a great technique in a real fight.

I have a friend that while fighting a guy high on PCP my friend ended up breaking both the guy's collarbones with Chopping techniques.
I've got this, Grab the collar bone, push, or strike on the Jaw with the other hand, thing I have been meaning to try, but I would sooner, downward heel palm smash, or finger tip strike down, and behind the collar bone, before I would chop at it. I just see a broken metacarpal, with a chop, but I am delicate. :cool:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got this, Grab the collar bone, push, or strike on the Jaw with the other hand, thing I have been meaning to try, but I would sooner, downward heel palm smash, or finger tip strike down, and behind the collar bone, before I would chop at it. I just see a broken metacarpal, with a chop, but I am delicate. :cool:

My friend actually used fists in a chopping motion .....actually I guess it was more of a hammer fist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You can hook the collar bones from a full nelson. I have tried it and never really managed to make it work.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend actually used fists in a chopping motion .....actually I guess it was more of a hammer fist.

No problem there, it is also highly effective. Whether as a chopping motion or a whipping motion (where the hand acts like a wet dish towel).

For an example of the ax hand;

WWII combatives

Last edited:

Latest Discussions