The Karate and Chinese Method of Hand Conditiining

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
In both methods it is advised to proceed slowly, like in the use of hard punching materials for training start of with 25% power.

In my training when I was preparing for a national team qualifying event I had no proper punching bag so what I used was several sacks of rice which I filled with sand. And as part of my training regimen in preparation for the event I would kick and punch that equipment 100 times daily of each kick and punch.

During the competition I went against the previous year's silver medalists. He tried to engage me in a toe to toe exchange of techniques and I swear I could feel my fists and kicks really going thru his armor that in the end he had to disengage. I lost that match but he was not able to continue on to the next match. It really has it merits and serves its purpose for competition as well as in self defense.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looking back it is best to employ this training method maybe no more than 4 times a week to allow your body to heal to build up new tissues to become stronger. Although the training method helps to desensitive you from pain, the actual development occurs in between training sessions not during.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

Here is master fujimoto sadaharu and is an example of what correct hand and foot conditioning can do.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

And here is an advanced practitioner of the Chinese Iron palm. Initially as described in the original link in the first post the hand is just dropped on the bag and not slapped the way this master is doing it.

Again proceed with caution.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I watched both those vids before seven in the morning, before coffee, even.

Best damn start to a day I've had in a long while.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read through the Chinese section. That's a general outline of physical conditioning, but there needs to be internal training to go along with that. That being said, that all depends on the tradition of your version.

Personal experience for me includes hei gung & noi gung as well as actual contact training.

Your mileage may vary.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really has it merits and serves its purpose for competition as well as in self defense.

That I can see. However, you seem to be attesting to the fact that you're conditioning translates to successful self defence. It may well do for you, and well done for the commitment. However, just because you have tough hands etc., does not automatically mean that someone would be wholly aided in such a situation as SD.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And here is an advanced practitioner of the Chinese Iron palm. Initially as described in the original link in the first post the hand is just dropped on the bag and not slapped the way this master is doing it.

Again proceed with caution.

Yeah I'll say. Smashing a brick against the wrist could be disastrous :D

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
That I can see. However, you seem to be attesting to the fact that you're conditioning translates to successful self defence. It may well do for you, and well done for the commitment. However, just because you have tough hands etc., does not automatically mean that someone would be wholly aided in such a situation as SD.
That is true. Anyway it does help to have tough limbs, to have devastating techniques without resorting to force multipliers which may lead to legal consequences later on. It is hard enough already if you are identified as a "trained martial artists" in a legal dispute. Yup having iron limbs is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully defend yourself but it does help to have them:)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is true. Anyway it does help to have tough limbs, to have devastating techniques without resorting to force multipliers which may lead to legal consequences later on. It is hard enough already if you are identified as a "trained martial artists" in a legal dispute. Yup having iron limbs is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully defend yourself but it does help to have them:)

Yeah I need to read up more on "force multipliers" Would be tempted to ask do you need a lightsaber. That would just be silly though :D

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I knew the jedi mind control trick. Hey no need for all this stuff anyway:)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Fujimoto clip - regardless of practical, tactical or comparable - I just eat that stuff up. It's not how I move or how I train, but I love it. I just do.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fujimoto clip - regardless of practical, tactical or comparable - I just eat that stuff up. It's not how I move or how I train, but I love it. I just do.

Yes would love to make that a new years resolution. First brick, then brick wall. Bet my bank manager would not be too pleased ;)