The HIP

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Went to class today. I've been stretching really well.

My left leg kicks are awesome.. Just like I want them..

thats the leg my knee injury was on.. its all better now..

Now, my right upper hip is giving me issues. Even something as simple as pivoting makes it sting a bit. I've never had issues with it before. I was hoping there were some signs or symptoms that stretching or something would help before I had to go to the doctor. I've never had any issues before. Even now sitting at the pc, if i turn it a certain way.. it stings.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i would practice seiza or kneeling and try to balance myself out...
might you just be tired?
aware stretching is sure to help. i gather in tkd, at the start of class you do a bunch of stretching exercises, right? I'm positive that enough of those exercises will heal-just as they can also do damage if you push it too hard or in a way that is so extreme that the body can't take it. like a chain the body will have problems at the weakest link. not necessarily where the tension or 'problem' is coming from.

j

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing you might look at is how you're pivoting. If you don't get your hip over enough, you'll end up pitting bones against each other.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One thing you might look at is how you're pivoting. If you don't get your hip over enough, you'll end up pitting bones against each other.

you might be on to something. how can I make sure I am turning it all the way over? it usually hurts the most during double kicks where I don't put my leg down.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The easiest way is to check your foot position. If your toes are pointing upwards, (especially on turning/round house kicks) odds are your hip isn't fully turned over.

Might also have to do with how you're chambering. If you're letting your knee dift down between kicks, you could just be overworking some muscles. (Easier to double kick etc if you return your leg in a tight chamber.)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Now, my right upper hip is giving me issues. Even something as simple as pivoting makes it sting a bit. I've never had issues with it before. I was hoping there were some signs or symptoms that stretching or something would help before I had to go to the doctor. I've never had any issues before. Even now sitting at the pc, if i turn it a certain way.. it stings.

How old are you Sylo? And how much streaching do you do?

While I can't say just what you have, nature I think is telling you something!

Deaf

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How old are you Sylo? And how much streaching do you do?

While I can't say just what you have, nature I think is telling you something!

Deaf

I'm 27.

I can kick great with my left leg.

just my right thats giving me issues.

I do about 10-15 minutes of stretching on my own before class.. and then class stretching. I normally don't have time at home to do it.. but if I need to make time to get this fixed.. I will.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok Sylo, so it isn't age (I'm 53!).

Now, not only is there correct stretching routines, but the amout of stretching can do you good or do you harm.

I have found you can overdo it and not let your body heal between workouts and/or stretching.

Having one side bind (is that what it's doing????) may mean joint problem on that side. Stinging? Are the muscles giving you shocks, kind of sharp lightning jolts? I get them when I kick real hard alot without a bag for my leg to strike against.

Taking it easy on that side for a while might be the best bet. Just lay off it and practice hand techniques for a few weeks.

Deaf

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It is possible that you were compensating for the injury on the left which has caused the pain on your right.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sylo, it might be useful to try some very slow-mo kicks in perfect form and see what happens then. Turning and side kicks, say, where you do everything super-slowly, as though you were demo-ing the technique for a beginner, so that they could see all of the separate components: the chamber, rotation of the knee to parallel with the floor, the near-full (but not quite!) extension, the pivot, the small upper-body balance adjustments. See if it's the actual configuration that giving rise to the hurt, or if it's something about the internal impact of the kicking motion; if it's the latter, you shouldn't feel any irritation or pain doing the kick at quarter-speed.

Kicking the air is great for balance, but it forces you into physical configurations that can wind up distorting your technique (because you have to kick from a physical orientation where your upper body is relatively quite far off the vertical in order to stay upright at the very end of the kick, when your leg is amost totally outstretched and moving fast toward a sudden stop). Try good solid kicks against a heavy bag: is the pain the same, worse, or much less? Hard repetitive kicks to thin air can take their toll, I think...

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sylo, it might be useful to try some very slow-mo kicks in perfect form and see what happens then. Turning and side kicks, say, where you do everything super-slowly, as though you were demo-ing the technique for a beginner, so that they could see all of the separate components: the chamber, rotation of the knee to parallel with the floor, the near-full (but not quite!) extension, the pivot, the small upper-body balance adjustments. See if it's the actual configuration that giving rise to the hurt, or if it's something about the internal impact of the kicking motion; if it's the latter, you shouldn't feel any irritation or pain doing the kick at quarter-speed.

Kicking the air is great for balance, but it forces you into physical configurations that can wind up distorting your technique (because you have to kick from a physical orientation where your upper body is relatively quite far off the vertical in order to stay upright at the very end of the kick, when your leg is amost totally outstretched and moving fast toward a sudden stop). Try good solid kicks against a heavy bag: is the pain the same, worse, or much less? Hard repetitive kicks to thin air can take their toll, I think...

Tried that today. It works better, and doesn't hurt much doing it very slow. But I still can't kick side kicks/round kicks as high with the right as I can with the left. I can do front/axe kicks fine with either leg. I can barely get my side kicks waist level with that leg. It hurts worse kicking air, than it does kicking a bag. It wasn't as bad today.. but I want to be able to kick HIGH with both legs..