The Heart of The Art

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Last Fearner. Excellent post Brother John! As for the other issue, it's an appalling show of behavior for a forum member, a human being, a man, and a martial artist. I've seen domestic abuse and I can tell you that when a man says "I accept your apology" and then continues to pummell a woman who repeatedly makes apologies even during the pummelling, it's disgusting. It shows the true character of the abuser, that they have no business speaking on behalf of anyone who's been offended here, and that they have a LONG way to go in their martial arts studies.

As we all know, many people who get involved with martial arts have lived through domestic abuse. What good is it to provide them with flashbacks in the name of "protecting them"? I'm neither a mentor, nor a moderator but I think that a person who conducts themselves in such a way can hardly be considered a black belt of anything and are a piss-poor example of what it means to be a black belt.

Funakoshi-sensei once wrote about how ashamed he was at wanting to disregard his instructors admonitions not to beat up a bunch of thugs. His instructor did everything possible to avoid harming the thugs because it was clear they would've been slaughtered by the dojo members. Later, the thugs actually came to the master's dojo and apologized. The master, however, did not say "I accept your apology" while beating the crap out of them. Funakoshi-sensei then went on to say that he felt very ashamed that he had wanted to use his strength and training against untrained men.

There is an important lesson there and I hope that I've relayed it in such a way so that it is easily understood. If I haven't, perhaps a moderator could......... The posts in question have absolutely NO place on a "Friendly" discussion board.

Latest Discussions