The hardest 3 weeks of my TKD career

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to teaching :)

What you’ll teach is the easy part. How you’ll teach it to everyone in the room at the same time is where it gets dicey. Attention spans, personalities, motivation levels, abilities, et al are all different for each individual. Reaching everyone and at the same time and getting them all on the same page and doing the same thing is what makes a teacher a teacher. All the planning in the world can go out the window in seconds.
One of the most challenging things I run into especially when it is a technical conversation or delegating responsibilities is when everyone is nodding their head in the affirmative but you know you have to figure out what they don't understand.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the most challenging things I run into especially when it is a technical conversation or delegating responsibilities is when everyone is nodding their head in the affirmative but you know you have to figure out what they don't understand.
Yup. No one wants to be “the idiot who doesn’t get it.” Or they figure they’ll figure it out once they get going. Enough of those at the same time, and you’ve got a sh!t show.

The way I dealt with that as a classroom teacher was my most often used line: “don’t be afraid to be wrong.” In a physical education setting, which MA is, it’s not so simple. Being wrong could have you falling on your butt, punched in the face, etc. In some instances, you should be afraid to be wrong. Getting everyone to do the same thing in a physical education setting sure ain’t easy. Ask any honest student teacher. Or even a veteran teacher. It gets easier as you gain experience and anticipate the mistakes from past F ups, but just when you get comfortable and think you’ve seen it all, you get proven wrong. One of the differences between the new teacher and veteran teacher is the veteran teacher won’t (or at least shouldn’t) get rattled when someone Fs up in a new way or when things start falling apart.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our dojo barely pays for itself. Several people teach here and there to help cover for the CI. Two people teach consistently on certain nights/times. No one gets paid. Nor was anyone expected to teach for free. The ones who do do so because they want to.

Our tuition is less than half the average going rate in the area. And it hasn’t gone up in years. Another student and I did some quick math one night and estimated the place is break-even when you multiply the approximate number of students x monthly tuition - approximate expenses. When you know that’s the case, it’s pretty easy to want to help out. When it’s a commercial place making pretty good money and charging you a premium, it’s not so easy to volunteer your time and/or services.
Yeah, that's the kind of place where teaching for free isn't a big deal. I teach for free at the dojo where my program is. I charge for the program, and let the money go back into the dojo, because I know the owner's not making money (she's probably losing some, in fact).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'll add "what you don't care if they understand." For example, let's take a roundhouse kick:
  • If I'm teaching a 4-year-old on his first day of class, as long as he stays with his line, I honestly don't care what he does. I don't care if all he does is step, and doesn't even kick. If he steps when I say "go" and stops after one or a couple, doesn't run into the person in front of him, and doesn't stand still so he can get kicked by the person behind him, I'm happy.
  • If I'm teaching a 10-year-old on their first day, or if I'm teaching a 4-year-old who's been there for a couple weeks, all I care is they understand that a roundhouse kick has a turn, compared to the front kick we just did which is straight. I don't care if they don't chamber, and are basically just swinging their leg (toes up) across their body at knee height. They've learned the vocabulary I want them to learn - front kick is straight out, roundhouse kick is across.
  • If I'm teaching someone who is getting close to yellow belt, I want them to know how to bend their knee and point their foot in the right direction.
  • Close to purple belt, I want them to have a proper chamber and snap motion, and know how to point their foot.
  • Close to orange belt, how to land that roundhouse kick to prepare for combination.
  • Close to green belt, how to recoil their leg instead of just falling back to their sparring stance
Now, for that very first bullet point, I would still demonstrate knee up -> turn -> snap kick -> recoil -> land. I would demonstrate it fully. But all I care is that he stays in his line.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the kind of place where teaching for free isn't a big deal. I teach for free at the dojo where my program is. I charge for the program, and let the money go back into the dojo, because I know the owner's not making money (she's probably losing some, in fact).
What you and JR 137 are do for your dojo is selfless, you should be proud of yourselves.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll add "what you don't care if they understand." For example, let's take a roundhouse kick:
  • If I'm teaching a 4-year-old on his first day of class, as long as he stays with his line, I honestly don't care what he does. I don't care if all he does is step, and doesn't even kick. If he steps when I say "go" and stops after one or a couple, doesn't run into the person in front of him, and doesn't stand still so he can get kicked by the person behind him, I'm happy.
  • If I'm teaching a 10-year-old on their first day, or if I'm teaching a 4-year-old who's been there for a couple weeks, all I care is they understand that a roundhouse kick has a turn, compared to the front kick we just did which is straight. I don't care if they don't chamber, and are basically just swinging their leg (toes up) across their body at knee height. They've learned the vocabulary I want them to learn - front kick is straight out, roundhouse kick is across.
  • If I'm teaching someone who is getting close to yellow belt, I want them to know how to bend their knee and point their foot in the right direction.
  • Close to purple belt, I want them to have a proper chamber and snap motion, and know how to point their foot.
  • Close to orange belt, how to land that roundhouse kick to prepare for combination.
  • Close to green belt, how to recoil their leg instead of just falling back to their sparring stance
Now, for that very first bullet point, I would still demonstrate knee up -> turn -> snap kick -> recoil -> land. I would demonstrate it fully. But all I care is that he stays in his line.

I have give you credit teaching a 4 year old. You have master patience. I find it hard teaching my serious minded 9 and 11 year old grandchildren. I know the problem is me, I expect to much from them.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have give you credit teaching a 4 year old. You have master patience. I find it hard teaching my serious minded 9 and 11 year old grandchildren. I know the problem is me, I expect to much from them.

I definitely wouldn't teach that young if I was in charge. Those are the only classes that feel like work (the 4-6 year old white belts). All of the other classes I love teaching.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't teach that young if I was in charge. Those are the only classes that feel like work (the 4-6 year old white belts). All of the other classes I love teaching.

I have watch them at Tiger Rock, they always have 2 or 3 teachers who spend most of their time tie the children's belts.
They are good at keeping the kids happy and still teach a little discipline.
They do it because they like kids and there is good money in teaching young children.

I know of a child who started very young at home and did well, but both her parents were MA teachers.
Two teachers to one student is a lot different than one teacher for many very young students.
One thing Tiger Rock does is have a red belt from a teen class help.
This might help you enjoy your 4-6 year old class more.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have watch them at Tiger Rock, they always have 2 or 3 teachers who spend most of their time tie the children's belts.
They are good at keeping the kids happy and still teach a little discipline.
They do it because they like kids and there is good money in teaching young children.

I know of a child who started very young at home and did well, but both her parents were MA teachers.
Two teachers to one student is a lot different than one teacher for many very young students.
One thing Tiger Rock does is have a red belt from a teen class help.
This might help you enjoy your 4-6 year old class more.

We have a ton of help in that class. We also have a few kids from that class who excel.

I still wouldn't do it. It's not my passion, and I don't plan to do martial arts as a business.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you and JR 137 are do for your dojo is selfless, you should be proud of yourselves.
In my case, it really isn't that enlightened. I want the dojo to stay open so I have a place to play. And I like the people.

It's really quite selfish of me. :D

Latest Discussions