The granddaughter

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do y'all see many multi generation family members train seriously and stick with it?
You don't see many single generation members train seriously and stick with it. It's a simple fact that the majority of students will quit long before they make much progress.
That being said, I've trained my own children, and I'm training some of my grandchildren as well. My only rule is that I will not, under any circumstances, grade my own family.

OP
B

Badhabits

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You don't see many single generation members train seriously and stick with it. It's a simple fact that the majority of students will quit long before they make much progress.
That being said, I've trained my own children, and I'm training some of my grandchildren as well. My only rule is that I will not, under any circumstances, grade my own family.
Care to elaborate on not grading family? I've seen more that do than don't, so you've got me curious.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do y'all see many multi generation family members train seriously and stick with it?
You mean children, parents, And grandparents? Why not just say that?;) Regardless, I have only seen a few of all three, and never for very long. I have seen many sets of two do it for extended periods.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Same here. I have trained my wife, son, uncle, and cousins. I would always step aside when they were testing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on not grading family? I've seen more that do than don't, so you've got me curious.
I watched a fellow grade his son. The son passed. He absolutely should not have done so.
I prefer to avoid even the possibility of bias.

I've seen a reverse multi-generational... a lady who started out bringing her grandson to class. He trained till (if memory serves) 1st geup. Then lost interest. She started training and at about 72, I strapped a 1st Dan on her.