The GOLDEN SCORE: A Necesssary Evil?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oooh boy. Here we go again. And of course judoinfo crashed, you've over loaded it by looking up the "truth". Nice turn away above btw

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
Oooh boy. Here we go again. And of course judoinfo crashed, you've over loaded it by looking up the "truth". Nice turn away above btw
And your further thoughts regarding the golden score are?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mod Hat off.

My thoughts regarding the 'Golden Score' are: should one choose not to practice one's art as a sport, one should care not about sporting rules. Furthermore, should one refuse to answer others' questions regarding their martial education in a consistent fashion, one is usually a troll. An illegitimate poster. One without credibility. An armchair martial artist. A wanna be.

Those are my thoughts on the 'Golden Score'.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what's the difference between the golden score and a regulation judo match...where it can be one by a single ippon...regular judo matches are sudden death, too...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
what's the difference between the golden score and a regulation judo match...where it can be one by a single ippon...regular judo matches are sudden death, too...
Excellent question, that is the whole point, why the 'Golden Score' in the first place? What was on the IJF's mind? The promotion of $port$ or the betterment of judo?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

flatlander said:
Mod Hat off.

My thoughts regarding the 'Golden Score' are: should one choose not to practice one's art as a sport, one should care not about sporting rules.
THEN if one chooses not to practice one's art as a sport, THEN sporting rules should not be imposed on them.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
so, patrick, how long have you been studying judo
Since I was eight, I made Shodan two months ago. All through local and regional shiais, round robin, and the bad point system.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
THEN if one chooses not to practice one's art as a sport, THEN sporting rules should not be imposed on them.
Absolutely. This would be a function of your instructor, not the art. If there is difficulty in finding non-sport oriented instruction, what does that tell you about the state of the art itself?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

flatlander said:
Absolutely. This would be a function of your instructor, not the art. If there is difficulty in finding non-sport oriented instruction, what does that tell you about the state of the art itself?
Not so much the state of the art, or of the instructor who also might have reservations, but the state of the governing body, or 'bodies' as in the case for judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Since I was eight, I made Shodan two months ago. All through local and regional shiais, round robin, and the bad point system.
holy crap...a straight answer...although there is plenty of evidence that supports that you are really jack stay...or at least the person behind the jack stay persona...honestly...i don't think there are too many people that think you're only 19

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
holy crap...a straight answer...although there is plenty of evidence that supports that you are really jack stay...or at least the person behind the jack stay persona...honestly...i don't think there are too many people that think you're only 19
But I do believe that you are a Rokyu in judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes i am...and i'm honest about it...

just as honest as i was the time you asked me who my instructors were...and i told you...like i've asked you, but you've never even acknowledged the request...

i've been studying judo and jujutsu, both, for two years and have not tested from yellow belt to orange because i'm not that concerned about rank...i'm in it for the love of judo

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
yes i am...and i'm honest about it...

just as honest as i was the time you asked me who my instructors were...and i told you...like i've asked you, but you've never even acknowledged the request...

i've been studying judo and jujutsu, both, for two years and have not tested from yellow belt to orange because i'm not that concerned about rank...i'm in it for the love of judo
But you weren't being honest when you wrote you weren't coming back to this thread. You are too inconsistant to be taken seriously. Hecklers are routinely ignored in my dojo!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
But you weren't being honest when you wrote you weren't coming back to this thread. You are too inconsistant to be taken seriously. Hecklers are routinely ignored in my dojo!
Which dojo is that?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

flatlander said:
Which dojo is that?
You know flatlander, to be perfectly honest, based on some of the odd responses to my posts, I really don't want to identify my dojo here.

P.S. I just came back from a monthly shiai, and the Golden Score was used twice. Neither brown belt competitor had ever heard of it before.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
You know flatlander, to be perfectly honest, based on some of the odd responses to my posts, I really don't want to identify my dojo here.
Fair enough, you're not required to provide that information if you're not comfortable doing so.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
you're having trouble keeping your ducks in a row...i never said i was leaving this thread...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
Just to remain on topic, and with an intelligent question from this rokyu, not all regulation judo matches are sudden death overtime, which is the Golden Score.

During your initial four minute match (it used to be 12 minutes & 15 minutes in the Olympics), you can acuire points or penalties as time progresses. But with the Golden Score, the first point or penalty decides the match.

But will this improve judo? As the participants don't really care how they win in sudden death overtime, they'll do anything to win, particularly in major championships. So this is one of the controversies of the 'Golden Score', it is just another way to promote attacking judo and not good judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
an ippon wins the match, as does a tap out or a choke out...at any time...yes there are various other ways to score and accumulate points...but every judo match is "sudden death" in the fact that it can be ended at any point...

Latest Discussions