The Full shield

T

ThuNder_FoOt

An attempt to breathe some life back into the lifeless "Muay Thai" threads, nonetheless:

When do some of you find it appropriate to use a full shield?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By full shield you mean guarding with the shin and forearm in a wall like fashion with your head tucked low to protect the legs, torso and head all at once? Heck I use that every time I panic! Which is often if my opponent is good! haha Problem with full shield is if your opponent is good and you leave the shield up to long he can go after your other leg since so much of your weight is committed to a full shield instead of being even when just shielding the legs or torso. That has happened to me many times.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I full shield often. Since my reflexes are so slow, I generally use the full shield to defend incoming kicks. I tend to hunch down pretty good to minimize target area, but a low kick still has a chance at hitting my support leg. If they show a high kick but can switch to submarine kick to the support leg, I get caught almost every time.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

The support leg always seems to be the victim of the full shield. I personally don't like being hit on the inner thigh, and thats where I usually get it when I'm doing the full shield. Its usually my panic cover when I'm being overwhelmed.

What would you recommend out of the full shield? I usually find myself throwing a foot jab with the suspended leg.

:asian:

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Depending on the range, I like to step down with the shielding leg and either return a kick or throw a cross. Although I do like the shield/foot jab combination, since that leg is in the air anyway.

Latest Discussions