The first SYSTEMA thread

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think of it as organ hitting, though internal is a good description too.
I myself found breathing through the lower body, hips especially for me, has made it a lot easier to to absorb punches. Though I have heard him say to breath though our feet several times.
Oh yeah, when Vlad hit me with his stick, 3 times, I had 5 marks! All 5 were painfull.

OP
G

GouRonin

The stick shows you that your body knows how to breath on it's own and it's only for some reason we stry to stop it. I asked once if Vlad could show me how to avoid a certain strike, he said, No. I cannot. But if I attack you with sword you will run and move like crazy man. You already know how to move and avoid." The breathing shows you that you already know how to cope with the pain and strike. It also brings you closer to removing the fear of the strike. A psychological issue

As for the 3 levels. I have had Vlad hit me and move an internal organ to show you how you "Dance" to put it back into place. A penetrating strike. Last time I was down he was working on pressure point strike at the skin level. A skin strike.

There is so much that I don't grasp yet. I make it down 2-4 times a month and the more I go, the less I know.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember the time he had you running around like a chicken, that was funny, and very destracting.

Someone once told me that the human body was not meant to ever be completely still. That we are in fact always moving in some way or other. He said that is the trouble with a lot of people and keeping balance. They become rigid, and force themseleves to try and stay still, which is very un-natural, and in fact leads them to losing balance instead.
I think it is that way with breathing too. The only peple I know who do not breath, in fact the only people I know who are ever completely still, with no movement at all, are dead.
Breathing, should be very natural to us, and so should movement.
I love to watch children grapple, becasue they are naturals at it. They are so used to being so close to the ground, that they are very comfortable down there. Older we get, less time we get down, even to tie our shoes, so it becomes less familar, and harder for us to do anything down there comfortably.
Same applies to any movement, we get older, and constrict, or condition ourseleves to become less than what we should be, and do less than we are really able to.
Everything Vlad has shown to me seems to be a step back to becoming more of who we really are. A postitve step to breathing and moving naturally.

OP
G

GouRonin

When he made me dance like the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz running from a broomstick on fire. Not only was it distracting to watch but it was rather disconcerting to have done to you. I have it on video tape as well and everytime I watch it I remember it well.

Oh if I only had a brain.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
It was metioned earlier, that with all the emphasis on breathing that Systema started to sound kinda like the Chinese arts in that regard.
And while I think there is are similiarities there, I think the emphasis is still very different. I have some limited chinese breathing experience, Tai chi, and a Shaolin Breathing Set, but that is the extent of my knowledge there really, other than reading up on it.
Maybe someone here, or someone from one of the Chinese arts listed could give us a break down, that way we can do a comparison.

Just an idea. Hard to compare something if there is nothing to compare it to, right?

:)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been hit a few times sparring and all, some of hit pretty hard too. But when he hit me my stomach moved it was one interesting feeling.

One time he had the class pile on me so I could learn to breathe thru my toes, that was a first. But the thing I find the most interesting so far is the use of balance and learning to find where it's weakest on your opponent.

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the WMAA camp jaybacca72 showed me some systema. He did the hitting in the stomach in three directions as well as the sticks, and showed some techniques. It was interesting--certainly not what I would have expected.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
.. you must ASK him to hit you.

You will feel very good afterwards.
NO joke! It is good stuff.

:cool:

OP
R

RobP

The breathing I was taught in TCC was reverse diaphragmatic. As you breathe in the diaphragm pulls in and up , as you breathe out the dia. pushes down and out. This was mostly done in a slow, controlled place, while practicing your form or in static qigong postures. As you hit or pushed you always breathed out.

Systema breathing works from shallow breaths to deep breathing. It is worked in all sorts of positions, from "corpse" posture on the floor, through to the body being contorted and under pressure. Sometimes you breathe out on the exertion, sometimes you breathe in. Breathing is also taught as a method of pain control and as a psychological aid. Holding the breath (or "not breathing") is also pracitced in some exercises, both for strength and psychological training)

In short I've found the Systema methods to be more in depth and varied. The TCC method certainly gave me a strong diaphragm and the ability to slow and control the breath. I could also take a fair punch through that training - though not one of Vlad's or Mikhail's ;-)

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
And ignore my other post regarding comparing the breathing, seems like you have done so already.

Guess great minds think alike, and so do we.

:cool:

OP
G

GouRonin

Just thought I would bring back this thread as I think it kicked @ss! Woo!
:D

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Is it still the best, or has another thread taken that title?

Maybe we should have a match to see which thread kicks the most, the best & he biggest!!!

:D :D :D

OP
S

sweeper

"if I attack you with sword you will run and move like crazy man."

that is a great quote.. is there anywhere where I can get a list of seminar locations?

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For Vladimir seminars go to the site Gou Ronin mentioned, then click on the seminars link. I just put the new list up for 2003 last night.

To check on Seminars by affiliate instructors, go to http://www.russianmartialart.org/forum/phpBB2/

Then click on the Announcements section. there will be a list of various other Systema seminars taught by official affiliates.

Both lists are prone to updates. The affiliates list changes more frequently.

Arthur

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I got the tapes several years ago and the systema rocks! There is one tape with oleg taktarov that I would not recommend, it is mostly an oleg ego trip in my opinion. But everything else is fantastic. I feel that the system is tai che based with the stance being a bit on the heels. No I am not saying it is anything like tai che just that its roots probably are. I hope he comes to my area some day. Gary

OP
S

sweeper

dang.. nearest one has a whole state inbetween me and it :p

out of suriosity what's with the bat and the crosshairs ?