The first martial arts book you would recommend

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the latest in a series of very good things I've heard about Fairbairn's book. I need to order it from Amazon... they have it in stock and it's quite reasonably priced...

Good move, to get it while it's available. Very basic, but isn't hand-to-hand always so? Lots of stuff that was foundational for modern practice. So right down your alley, Ex., with your knowledge of the historical threads of currrent combat practice. Let me know what you think. :ultracool

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got this one, and I'd recommend it too, I sometimes read it before class while sat outside waiting, and a couple of times I've had it "borrowed" for a second....which turned into 10 minutes in the end.... lol
:D Yeah, the moves ar so direct and simple, I still have to look at them and think, can you really do that? Great stuff.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good move, to get it while it's available. Very basic, but isn't hand-to-hand always so? Lots of stuff that was foundational for modern practice. So right down your alley, Ex., with your knowledge of the historical threads of currrent combat practice. Let me know what you think. :ultracool

Will do, kdswrrr—have already ordered it! Thanks for the recommendation
icon14.gif

ehsen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im not sure if there are Kung fu or katare

There is a really good kung Fu book called "Traning Methods 72 Arts Shaolin"

Everybody should read this book specially if you want to add shaolin taste in your combat style.

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee at the moment. At first it is a little overwhelming to look at as it is not set out like a normal book but it is actually fairly easy reading. It's almost set out in dot points. Some of the terms he uses goes over my head but it's inspiring and a guide rather than a "how to" book. I like it.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Art of war and the Art of peace are 2 of my favorite martial art books.
Tai chi classics and book of 5 rings are also wonderful books that I go back to alot. I think a book that can help refresh your memory on techniques you learned in your classes a book explaining the history and the concept of your chosen style. I do not think a "how to do a technique" book is the best for that save an extra $50 and go to a class but a book that explains what I listed above I think is ideal. However if you are looking for a book out of curiousity to learn more about an art you are thinking of joining I think almost any book with an author who has credits would be fine. Recall the basic approach only so much you can actually learn from a book vs. actually with a teacher or through experience.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another vote for "Living the Martial Way"
Also another vote for "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu...

But I believe that you should start with your own art. Learn everything you can within the style you study before going into more broad terms. The most useful book for me, was "Soo Bahk Do Tang Soo Do" by GM Hwang Kee - but I am a TSD/SBD praticioner....

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee, The Canon of Judo by Kyuzo Mifune, The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To many to list actually but

Another revision on what I would recommend

1) Living the Martial Arts Way - Forest E. Morgan
2) The Making of a Butterfly - Phillip Starr
3) Zen in the Martial Arts - Joe Hyams
4) Let Every Breath... - Vladimir Vasiliev
5) Cheng Tzu's 13 Treatises on Tai Chi Chuan - Cheng Manching (of course if you are talking specifically Taiji I have a different list)

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on which martial art you are going to study?

Anyway, Play the Game Judo was the first book at the library that sparked my interest in martial arts. The competition photos are amazing, and the drawings and writing is impeccable.

However, now that I am at the end of my training, not the beginning, I think Wrestling for Beginners is an excellent read for youngsters.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do is also a classic, very good for martial arts/self-defense neophytes. It covers everything, from boxing to wrestling to judo + jiu-jitsu to savate and muay thai, all encapsulated in a coherent philosophy.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For women especially, but it's a good read for everyone: "Sharp Spear, Crystal Mirror: Martial Arts in Women's Lives", by Stephanie T. Hoppe. An amazingly inspiring read.

Latest Discussions