The Fence

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've learned a lot from everyone here at MartialTalk. This is a great place. Okay, got that out of the way. I've been reading about what some call the fence, which is positioning your hands between yourself and a possible attacker. In an article in the martialist, Sharp Phil has both hands up, palms forward, but not in a wimpy don't hurt me way, very assertive. I had an old kenpo instructor who advocated what he called the prayer position ( both hands in front of the chest, fingertips lightly touching, watching your opponent closely) and I've also read about what some call the Jack Benny (one hand touching the elbow of the arm, the other at the face, by the mouth, chin) which seems good, you'd have a downward palm block on the lower arm and an inward 45 or outward extended from the one at the face. Which would you use if trouble were possible but not certain? does everyone use the fence?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use a version of the 'fence'. I think it's important to look non-threatening while still being well positioned. Remember not to block your view of any of the opponent's weapons. You need clear line of sight to their hands and feet. The 'praying' style would be conducive to this, and approximates my way. Create distance.

I've also been shown the all out hands way out like you're saying "no, no I don't want to fight - just calm down" way with palms forward , fingers pointing up about 45 degrees from horizontal. This is a great way to get your finger jab or other intercept set up, while appearing non - threatening, and attempting to de-escalate.

Good question.

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks flatlander, I use a kind of prayer position too, might change it though. about the two palms forward though, I think attitude is important and that's why I liked Phil's fence. It has the hands in great position but its obvious he's not saying No no I don't want to fight, rather, that's far enough! Don't get any closer! I think its important because thugs want victims, not fights, and too defensive or wimpy an attitude might signal that you're fresh meat instead of a hard target. What about the Jack Benny? The hand at the face can eye jab, too. why don't most martial techniques start at a fence? makes a lot more sense than starting at a ready position or down block position, as many one steps or techniques do.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
why don't most martial techniques start at a fence? makes a lot more sense than starting at a ready position or down block position, as many one steps or techniques do.
Well, some do, actually. As well, you'll notice that if you take 'the fence' as a reference frame, I'll bet that you arrive in a position not too different from that in the flow of your kata at some point or other.

As well, I think that alot of styles operate on the assumption that you don't have the kind of time to assume that stance before you need to begin moving, but I don't see any harm in drilling techniques on your own that start from the fence, if you like that. If your teacher doesn't incorporate it, do it on your own.

Stay cool, brother.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the Jack Benny, and use that most often, but have also used the Fence and the Prayer positions.

O

OC Kid

I tell my students to have on hand about their nose like they are scratching it or playiing with the collar of their shirt or something with tha other arm against the body protecting their center line and groin area.

M

Mark Weiser

Okay here is another thought. When I went to the Sheriff Academy(yes I used to carry a badge lol)
They told me to keep your hands in front of your body at the ready and you can hide this by holding a pad of paper and a pen while taking notes. Using this idea you can pick a nail or scratch your hand or pretend to be rubbing a sore spot on the back of your hand.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the "jack benny" position quite a bit. I also use one I refer to (for lack of a better description) as the Steven Seagal stance, where you're hands are casually clasped in front of you at about waist level. Both of these are good if you are just talking to someone because the very fact that you are consciously thinking about a "sucker-punch" makes you that much less likely to get hit. They also are non-threatening so it doesn't look like you're trying to escalate the situation. The "hey, what's up" or "back off I don't wanna fight" (hands up, palms out) position would be my next step.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
I've learned a lot from everyone here at MartialTalk. This is a great place. Okay, got that out of the way. I've been reading about what some call the fence, which is positioning your hands between yourself and a possible attacker. In an article in the martialist, Sharp Phil has both hands up, palms forward, but not in a wimpy don't hurt me way, very assertive. I had an old kenpo instructor who advocated what he called the prayer position ( both hands in front of the chest, fingertips lightly touching, watching your opponent closely) and I've also read about what some call the Jack Benny (one hand touching the elbow of the arm, the other at the face, by the mouth, chin) which seems good, you'd have a downward palm block on the lower arm and an inward 45 or outward extended from the one at the face. Which would you use if trouble were possible but not certain? does everyone use the fence?

I have an instructor also that talks about using that type of hand positioning. The finger tips touching and hands together in a clapping position are both very good and appear to be less threatening to your attacker, but yet still offer an excellent defense.

It provides good defense against a punch as well as kicks. Basically, as the attacker starts his attack, you're moving forward also, slamming your forearm into his shoulder. Your arms are making an "A" frame which also provides protection for your head. As for the kicks....pretty much any forward motion that you're getting from your attacker allows you to move forward, slamming your arms into him.

Keeping your hands IFO you, palms out also provides excellent defense.

Mike

Latest Discussions