The Feminine Side of the Marines

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ex-cheerleader (age 19) in the picture below was watching a road that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target, and she shot him. Turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a U.S. patrol walked by 30 minutes later. It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers

The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards. She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot struck him in the butt blowing him into the bomb which detonated. He was blown to pieces.

The Marines made a motivational poster of her. Her name is Kimmy.

Attachments

• $21.jpg
    $21.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 301

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
725 YARDS????? Holy Hannah she's a good shot.

Way to go Kimmy!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey what are friends for? :D

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
May want to check, but I don't think the Marines have any female snipers (0317). Wrong unifrom in the photo too.

R. McLain

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May want to check, but I don't think the Marines have any female snipers (0317). Wrong unifrom in the photo too.

R. McLain
According to Snopes, she's USAF, and the picture was taking during training. She does have markmanship awards, but knowing the USAF, that could just mean she knows which end of the round goes in first... :rofl:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to Snopes, she's USAF, and the picture was taking during training. She does have markmanship awards, but knowing the USAF, that could just mean she knows which end of the round goes in first... :rofl:

Yep, those are definitely DCUs....which is not the Marine uniform, I caught that one right away and checked snopes.

But - to defend my service - Air Force cops are damn good. They get a lot of training to do their daily job and run a lot of convoys and combat missions now.

AND, let's put it this way, I have 2 expert marksman ribbons from the Army, for M16 and M9....but NONE from the Air Force. I really do think that our marksman tests are harder. I've done both....pop ups at real range are SO much easier and realistic than a paper target at 30 yds (or 7, 10, 15 for M9).

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AND, let's put it this way, I have 2 expert marksman ribbons from the Army, for M16 and M9....but NONE from the Air Force. I really do think that our marksman tests are harder. I've done both....pop ups at real range are SO much easier and realistic than a paper target at 30 yds (or 7, 10, 15 for M9).
Unless things have changed since my days as a jarhead, they qualify at 200, 300, and 500 yds using iron sights. And don't even get me started on the doggies. Don't they get a grenade medal for tossing one without killing themselves? :p

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless things have changed since my days as a jarhead, they qualify at 200, 300, and 500 yds using iron sights. And don't even get me started on the doggies. Don't they get a grenade medal for tossing one without killing themselves? :p
Yep. That's the way it was when I was in. I NEVER missed the bulls eye from the 500. Gotta love that prone position. Now, the off hand at the 200 was a sumbitch. I once heard that to simply qualify for the Corps would get you expert in any other service.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep. That's the way it was when I was in. I NEVER missed the bulls eye from the 500.
Yeah, I was usually 10/10 from back there. I used to think it was funny from that range that rather than centering your front sight post on the target, you centered the target on your front sight post. :lol:
Now, the off hand at the 200 was a sumbitch.
Yep, especially if it was windy on the range.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I was usually 10/10 from back there. I used to think it was funny from that range that rather than centering your front sight post on the target, you centered the target on your front sight post. :lol:

Yep, especially if it was windy on the range.
You could see the target?! ;) I used to love range week.

As for the photo in the OP... it got me to thinking about some of the best snipers the world has ever known. The Russian women during WWII.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Women sniper factoid.

Dr. Ruth was trained as a sniper in the Israeli Defense Forces, it really changed my view of her when I read that in her autobiography.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparantly she's too good to be true. Real photo, fake description. She does seem like a damn good sniper though....even though her name isn't Kimmy.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Young Senior Airman Polly-Jan Bobseine's real resume is damned impressive for a twenty-one-year-old. A shame that someone felt it necessary to make up a story about an ex-cheerleader shooting a bomb-maker in the butt. But the real deal makes a better story. I don't know many people her age in or out of the service who have contributed so much.

She still deserves the thumbs-up, way-to-go's and back-slaps the thread began with.

As for whoever made up the silly story...:shooter:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I know that Air Force cops have a different marksmanship qualifying course than regular AF. Our standard qualifying course is 30 yds for M16, paper targets, sized to simulate between 10 yds and 300 yds. You fire prone supported, prone unsupported, kneeling, and standing supported, each of those 1/3 of your rounds in gas mask.

M9 is 7 yds, 10 yds, and 15 yds, two to the head one to the chest for each round, plus reloads. At 30 yds, there are some drills where you are required to duck behind barriers and such.

When I fired for the Army, we had pop up targets for M9 and M16....which the AF doesn't have. I personally found it a lot easier to hit the pop ups than a black sillouette on a piece of paper....although the 300 yd target on the M16 range took a while to get used to at real distance. And I must say....doing close quarters marksmanship is ALMOST enough to transfer to Army. But then I look at my air conditioned trailer in Iraq and their TEMPER tents....and I think differently. :)

I know that our cops do at least 6 months at Lackland for their initial training. It is a lot of infantry based stuff, since they are primarily responsible for Air Base Defense - or defending the Air Field from OPFOR in contingency.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and between wining the top 12 Airmen of the year and ACC's Airman award.....she's basically super woman. Best troop in history kind of material. Good Job Airman Bobseine!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Had a feeling it was too good to be true... just like that story of a dog that "silently tore out the throats of guards" that were holding some marines hostage... SIGH...
At 725 yards that is 2275 feet or 661 meters... that is a helluva shot for anyone. Fact that the story went on to elaborate that she shot him in the butt and he fell on his own device and detonating it (more like a mine than a IED wouldn't you say?) made it all too implausible.
Still the gun is only as accurate as the shooter... man or woman.

Makes you wonder who writes up this tripe and why they think they're helping boost morale lying their asses off? Sheesh.

Latest Discussions