The Facts of Kata

Discussion in 'Tang Soo Do' started by Makalakumu, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• Supporting Member
    • MartialTalk Fan
    • MartialTalk Mentor
    This is a great article on Kata. What do you think?

2. Master Jay S. Penfil

Master Jay S. Penfil Blue Belt

John,
    I love this article...

3. Snapcrackler

Snapcrackler White Belt

I really enjoyed that article. When I finally figured out my first Hyung (kata) and was expressing my experience to a senior member of the class, I said it was as though the moves I had been learning were notes, and the Hyung was the song.

Our master says that he can tell volumes about a person by just watching them do their hyung. This makes a lot of basic sense to me, your hyung or kata really seems to reflect who you are and your level of experience too.

4. Master Jay S. Penfil

Master Jay S. Penfil Blue Belt

My Grandmaster, Chung Il Kim, taught me years ago that you can determine what a practitioner knows from watching him/her perform Ha Dan Mahk Kee.

It all comes down to execution of movement. How you move your feet, transition your weight, adjust your height, prepare your hands, transition in a given direction, breath, set your focus both mentally and visually, etc.

All of these basic principles come together to formulate who you are and what you know and understand.

I have met many practitioners that want to know how many hyung I know, and see the highest hyung in my repertoire. I ask them first to show me Gicho Hyung Il Bu. We then spend an hour on cleaning up their basics and they no longer want to rush in to senior hyung… go figure.

In this world, we are so use to instant everything, from the microwavable oatmeal that we start our day with to the drive through restaurants, etc., we are conditioned to quick, not quality.

When learning hyung, spend a lot of time. Work the applications with partners. Never move to the next series of techniques in the hyung until you have a clean power-line and understanding of how to use it in the sequence that you are working on now; Quality, not quantity.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

5. trueaspirer

trueaspirer Green Belt

I only skimmed the article, but I thought that it had many valid points. The way it analyzed the kata was enlightening, even things I had already known were clarified by this article. Btw, where did you get this? Are there more like it?

6. Henderson

Henderson Master Black Belt

• MartialTalk Fan
    The articles itself says...

7. stone_dragone

stone_dragone Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Very informative...I have to add that to my "Big book of stuff."

Anything from Patrick McCarthy sensei regarding kata should be read, listened to, digested, thought about and re-read...good stuff.

my two cents...