The Facts about Spanking - Science shows...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard about this on the news but had not seen it yet. That dude is wacked in the head.Im not reading thru 12 pages to really comment on this topic but I cant see ANYONE condoning that type of behavior. Thats criminal in my book.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made it about four licks before I stopped the video. I can't watch children get beaten like that. That "girl" is not a child either. That is essentially the beating of another adult.

The emotional trauma from beatings change the brain. When that "child" has children, how will she release her frustrations?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made it about four licks before I stopped the video. I can't watch children get beaten like that. That "girl" is not a child either. That is essentially the beating of another adult.

The emotional trauma from beatings change the brain. When that "child" has children, how will she release her frustrations?

She may not have children, she has cerebral palsy, just gets worse doesn't it?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't realize that. Wow.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad spanked me because he promised me he would if I did a particular thing. I did that, I got what he promised me. I've been spanked 3 times in my life and each one was under those circumstances. He'd tell me to go to my room and think about what I'd done. He ask me first if I knew why I was being punished. He used his bare hand so he knew how hard he was hitting me. I'd get about four or five swats.

Was my dad right? Well, he certainly tried to make it serve it's purpose. He certainly wasn't taking out his aggression on me. Did it screw me up? Meh. Nothing like being bullied, harassed, teased and beat at school to put that in contrast.

I think the video is sick. Very disturbing. It's very disturbing to see an adult telling their adolescent child to bend over. You can F888ing well hit my legs instead then, you pervert. I think that dad deserves a lynching. I think he's a sick person that knows he's sick and that his sickness hurts others but he hides it by keeping it in the family. These kind of people need to be removed from a position of parenthood. I'm no psychologist, I'm no parent and I'm no trauma councillor but her mother sounds to me like she's abused and suffers stockholm syndrome.

Even if she was dramatizing, it was extremely disturbing to see her being forced to bend over. That kind of thing flies me into a hulk-rage. Sick.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Thanks M

Does your school/dojo offer programs related to self defense for children? Do instructors-teachers discuss
or have continuing education about child abuse? or abuse of women?

Yes. Its hard to watch. very hard. But she and her mother had to live through it. I believe
the least we can do is watch, think, talk to each other and learn.

When MA teachers talk about 'attacks' this is what I think of, based on my experience working with children
and adults. I often wonder what they are thinking really happens.
That's why I posted this. I hope you can watch it all eventually and will share your comments
with us all.

with respect and many thanks

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks M

Does your school/dojo offer programs related to self defense for children? Do instructors-teachers discuss

Yes. Its hard to watch. very hard. But she and her mother had to live through it. I believe

When MA teachers talk about 'attacks' this is what I think of, based on my experience working with children
That's why I posted this. I hope you can watch it all eventually and will share your comments
with us all.

Most self defense techniques we teach to children are based around 'Stranger Danger' even though most kids are not at risk from the Boogie Man, but from their own family.
The Boy Scouts have a more thorough approach, but they, too, do not address the domestic aspect.

I did not watch the video, but judging from the comments, the beating was paired with verbal abuse as well.
I still think one can do a lot more damage with a well placed word, without ever having to lay a hand on a person.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks M

with us all.

You make a good point. I'll check out the video and post my comments from a martial arts perspective. I used to work with kids who would show up to school with cigarette burns on their faces. This sort of thing enrages me.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks G

Most self defense techniques we teach to children are based around 'Stranger Danger' even though most kids are not at risk from the Boogie Man, but from their own family.

So why do instructors continue to do this??

Do you do this? What do you do?

"I did not watch the video, but judging from the comments, the beating was paired with verbal abuse as well.
I still think one can do a lot more damage with a well placed word, without ever having to lay a hand on a person"

Agreed. Please watch the video if you can. It reflects the reality of child abuse better than my words can describe.
This information is very well known. Its not obscure or hidden.

Why do instructors and teachers continue to organize and present their programs as though they have never heard
of the reality - or can't find the information?

I appreciate your thoughts about this. with respect.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks G

So why do instructors continue to do this??

Do you do this? What do you do?

"I did not watch the video, but judging from the comments, the beating was paired with verbal abuse as well.
I still think one can do a lot more damage with a well placed word, without ever having to lay a hand on a person"

Agreed. Please watch the video if you can. It reflects the reality of child abuse better than my words can describe.
This information is very well known. Its not obscure or hidden.

Why do instructors and teachers continue to organize and present their programs as though they have never heard
of the reality - or can't find the information?

I appreciate your thoughts about this. with respect.

I honestly don't have an answer.
people think the good uncle can't hurt a fly, if the parents are the evil ones, they would not teach oteherwise anyhow....

As instructor you provide a service.
But pulling the rose colored glasses of the clients, is that included?

We love to shelter our kids. Some people like to bubble wrap them.
Like if they don't teach them about drinking, smoking, sex, they won't know about it or learn from other sources.

We love to adhere to presumptions.
The people in church are good people, they won't harm children....

How can an instructor deal with that?

I do agree that 'stop stranger, don't touch me' is a farce.

Like I said, the BSA gets close but still misses the mark.
Thin line to toe, between arming our children and scaring the bejesus out of them.

Latest Discussions