the eight sword cuts

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have quite recently added swords to my martial arts repetoire, and i have discovered a move set called 'the eight sword cuts'. This was taught me by a blackbelt in jujitsu, and I would be interested to know if any one else has any commentary on this matter. I appreciate that there are three basic cuts, down wards cut and shoulder cut, and poke, (although these aren't the proper names obviously). Can any one here help me with the names of them, or indeed others they know of? Thanks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chris. You don't even know how to hold it. Put it down before you hurt yourself.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude, the UK has lots of well qualified iaido teachers, contact one and go practice.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning sword from a jujutsuka is like learning jujutsu from a boxer. Go find an instructor. You can really hurt yourself with that all-too-common combination of sword ownership and lack of training. You have no idea where the jujutsu guy learned it from, and whether he learned it correctly. Besides, think of your poor ceiling! It didn't do anything to you, and it'll end up being cut to ribbons.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gents, the OP is now banned (again)… additionally, he's suffering from paranoid schizophrenia… which is why I didn't offer any suggestion for a teacher at all. My recommendation is to not encourage this particular individual, for his safety, and that of those around him.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
in truth we do not really know his condition. he may have emotional and or mental health issues or he could just be saying all this stuff for kicks and attention. thus i didnt reply at all and kept out of it.

no doubt he will still be reading the forums and i wish him luck on his issues if they are real.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gents, the OP is now banned (again)… additionally, he's suffering from paranoid schizophrenia… which is why I didn't offer any suggestion for a teacher at all. My recommendation is to not encourage this particular individual, for his safety, and that of those around him.
While I understand what you are saying, a little discipline never hurt anybody. Why do you think schizophrenia and zen inner peace stuff won't wok together? (just askin) :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in truth we do not really know his condition. he may have emotional and or mental health issues or he could just be saying all this stuff for kicks and attention. thus i didnt reply at all and kept out of it.

no doubt he will still be reading the forums and i wish him luck on his issues if they are real.
Unfortunately, we have "Doctors" on this site that insist on offering a diagnosis every now and then. Perhaps a second opinion from a real Doctor is needed.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we have "Doctors" on this site that insist on offering a diagnosis every now and then. Perhaps a second opinion from a real Doctor is needed.
In actual fact we do know because John was actually discussing his condition in another thread ...

Finally i would like to remind you that whereas there are medications to deal with the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia and other class one disorders, there is not, as yet, any recognised drug which deals with the etiology of it. This is a medical fact. Do you need me to reference this for you, because i can, it will take some digging though.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In actual fact we do know because John was actually discussing his condition in another thread ...
you are absolutely correct KM. But my post was referencing many prior posts regarding other members.A lot of doctors in the house ;)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you are absolutely correct KM. But my post was referencing many prior posts regarding other members.A lot of doctors in the house ;)
Now that takes me back to one of my favourite shows from a few years back. :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Er....I'm a "doctor.."
rolling.gif

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I understand what you are saying, a little discipline never hurt anybody. Why do you think schizophrenia and zen inner peace stuff won't wok together? (just askin) :)

Schizophrenia, in all it's forms, is characterised by an inability to differentiate fantasy (illusion, hallucinations) from the real world. In many cases, this can lead to heightened anger and aggression, all the way to violent (almost psychotic) outbursts. Most common treatments are medications, including antipsychotics (both typical and atypical), which can have multiple side-effects themselves, including lack of focus. None of these are good conditions to give someone a three foot razor blade and let them swing it around.

For the record, I have had experience dealing with persons suffering from this affliction… as well as handling them when they got a bit out of hand.

We already had the "real doctors" opinion. You gained the perspective of someone who teaches martial arts, including blade work, and has some understanding of this area.

Latest Discussions