The Development and Current State of Martial Arts Studies in Germany - From Kung Fu Tea

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Development and Current State of Martial Arts Studies in Germany

In a way, Germany is one of the earliest hotspots for the composition of martial arts literature in Europe – although this early literature, of course, was not written from an academic, but from an instructional perspective. Manuscript I.33, supposedly written around 1300, is the oldest exiting European fencing manual. Its Latin text is interspersed with Middle High German termini technici of the art of sword fighting (Forgeng 2003). It was soon followed by a vast corpus of fencing manuals, describing and also illustrating all kinds of techniques for close quarter combat.

Kung Fu Tea

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I love the folios, such happy combatants. Big smiles even when they have a sword in their faceo_O
I think some of the guys at my school could take some lessons from this book (both literally and figuratively) and put a smile on their face...before I smack it off them with my waster :)
Fencing manuscripts are like my bread and butter...or more applicably - heroine. I just can't get enough!
L

Latest Discussions