The danger of knives

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently saw this video on facebook, Dan Inosanto showing the danger of knives. Not really related to anything here, but it's something that's always good to keep in mind.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. A very hard prospect to overcome

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you walk right up to a person acting suspiciously in an empty warehouse instead of issuing commands from range and the guy attacks you with a knife, than yes, I guess you are in deep caca and depending on your gun alone may not be the best idea.

However, I think that the ultimate lesson for officers here shouldn’t be “learn martial arts“, as beneficial as that would indeed be, it should be “use better tactics“. But to be fair to the officers in the video, I don’t know exactly how the scenario was presented to them. The narrator says it was framed as “respond to suspicious circumstances in a warehouse at night”. If it was “It’s 1AM, the business is closed, and you find a broken lock…” these Coppers screwed up. If it was “It looks like it may be the business owner”, that’s a different story and they were set-up for the confrontation by the creators. I also wonder if there were any subjects who “won” the scenario that didn’t make the film?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
isn't it common for a cop, when talk to a suspicious person, to ask him to let the hands out of pockets etc. where one can see it? ok maybe when asking for i.d. or driving license and such its something different.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tgace- I agree with you regarding the lesson that is taught. I would never want to have to rely on martial arts to protect me from a knife. If I was a LEO and had a chose to learn how to defend against a knife, and learn procedure to minimize the chance that I am close to them when they pull out the knife, 100% learn the procedure. However there are times where, for whatever reason, a LEO does not expect a weapon and gets closer to them. If they pull out the knife then, the officer is in trouble.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from the Police Training video, "Surviving Edged Weapons".
Originally shot in Wisconsin in 1988 with the goal of preparing LEO's for encounters with knives, machetes, cleavers, and other types of bladed weapons.
There are some rather comical and novelty type examples documented within.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
isn't it common for a cop, when talk to a suspicious person, to ask him to let the hands out of pockets etc. where one can see it? ok maybe when asking for i.d. or driving license and such its something different.

Yeah but it is a wierd dynamic.

At what point do you shoot the guy for having hands in pockets?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it is a wierd dynamic.

At what point do you shoot the guy for having hands in pockets?

At the point where we can articulate that the guy with his hands in his pocket is presenting an imminent threat of serious bodily harm.

it's that simple... and that complex.

Want real fun? For a long time, partly in response to this video & Remberg's books, cops got real focused on having subjects keep their hands out of their pockets -- including having them take them out if they're encountered with the hands in their pockets. But... that can also present an opportunity for a subject to bring a weapon to bear, no? So, maybe it's not the smartest thing to automatically demand to see the hands... That one'll start a fight among DT instrutors!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently saw this video on facebook, Dan Inosanto showing the danger of knives. Not really related to anything here, but it's something that's always good to keep in mind.

A really old respin of the almost-as-old tueller drill. And half work anyway. And even at the time a century late.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A really old respin of the almost-as-old tueller drill. And half work anyway. And even at the time a century late.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

That "century late" link was a really good read.