The Culture of Karate

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cannot count the number of times I've had people find out that I train in karate and either do 'Bruce Lee' noises while waving their hands or just simply put their hands up to do air 'crotty' or 'judy' chops.

But does always come down to sparring at the end of the night doesn't it ;) ? Even when you meet MA-ists that train seriously, the conversation usually turns to if you spar or not and what the drawbacks are of no face punching in Kyokushin. I have been popped in the face a few times (even after we agreed that face punching at a party is probably not a good idea) but I usually shrug it off and continue. I haven't been hit in the face twice yet but the other person quickly understands how fast I can adapt and hit to face as well ;). I don't actually hit them in the face but I do let them 'kiss' the knuckles or give them a little stroke to the face as a reminder that it was 'their' idea to spar and that we should 'both' remember to keep it light and friendly.
How do you deal with the moment? I usually try to deflect and let the moment just pass by. If it turns into a genuine inquiry I will take as long as available to talk about the subject but I never let it get into the "how do you do this move" aspect. I encourage them to come to class so that we can workout together. Most of us know when someone seasoned enters a conversation discussing a higher order subject. I treat it with my full attention and provide as much feedback as I can. When this happens with someone from a very different style my best may not be of very much use but I always do it as genuine as I can hoping to help keep respect between the styles strong.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you deal with the moment? I usually try to deflect and let the moment just pass by. If it turns into a genuine inquiry I will take as long as available to talk about the subject but I never let it get into the "how do you do this move" aspect. I encourage them to come to class so that we can workout together. Most of us know when someone seasoned enters a conversation discussing a higher order subject. I treat it with my full attention and provide as much feedback as I can. When this happens with someone from a very different style my best may not be of very much use but I always do it as genuine as I can hoping to help keep respect between the styles strong.
How do I deal with people from different styles when we first find out that we both train in different MA ? I tend to ask questions about where, when and how often they train, what they like about their style, what interests them about training. Most people return the questions and based on the tenor of the discussion I often ask if they want to train together sometime. If they come off as a DB I tend not to ask to train with them or invite them to train with me. I think most people can tell if someone is open to a genuine conversation or not.

I recently walked into a "kickboxing gym" with my daughter. It is more of workout place than a kickboxing gym to learn kickboxing. The 'trainer' was a nice little young lady who when asked what her background was informed me it was 5 years of Northern Shaolin Kenpo and two years of kickboxing. In other words, blah, blah, blah, buzz word, blah, blah, blah. It was basically a gym that focused on interval training with a kickboxing theme "sharply" packaged for the soccer moms and weekend warriors. Before you ask, I am taking the free course with two of my daughters because hey two of my daughters want to hang out with me and hit things. How can I say no that ;) ?

Samantha Jeng

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you think those private organizations that offer karate summer camps are into "karate culture"? Since they are only teaching for a short period of time, can we say that there is still "karate culture" with their programs?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think those private organizations that offer karate summer camps are into "karate culture"? Since they are only teaching for a short period of time, can we say that there is still "karate culture" with their programs?
I've never been to something like that, but I think many of them probably draw on the fact that there is a bit of universality of culture that crosses many of the styles/organizations out there. This is why folks who attend often come away feeling more a part of "Karate" as a whole - they've experienced working with folks from different styles who shared that Karate culture.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and welcome to Martial Talk!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome to Martial Talk, Samantha. :)

As to your question, I imagine there would be some basic culture involved, but it would most likely vary according to the backgrounds of those teaching the courses.

Samantha Jeng

White Belt
Reaction score
I've never been to something like that, but I think many of them probably draw on the fact that there is a bit of universality of culture that crosses many of the styles/organizations out there. This is why folks who attend often come away feeling more a part of "Karate" as a whole - they've experienced working with folks from different styles who shared that Karate culture.

That is also what I think. By the way, thank you for the warm welcome gpseymour. Cheers! ;)

Samantha Jeng

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Samantha. :)

As to your question, I imagine there would be some basic culture involved, but it would most likely vary according to the backgrounds of those teaching the courses.

Hi Buka. Thanks for welcoming me. I believe that it will still depend on the teachers. ;)

Latest Discussions