The Cultural Translation of Wing Chun: Addition, Deletion, Adoption and Distortion

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Civil disagreement in a WC thread?

tenor.gif

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
The fundamental problem is that we are generally too invested in what we believe we know, that our stuff is "the real one" and in spite of us not realizing or admitting to it, we are not really THAT open minded...

It is all too common to see that people in spite of being presented clear arguments and even strong evidence that contradicts their view, they still refuse to change their mind or concede a point.

When one's self image or one's ideas are challenged, the typical reaction is a negative one...

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
Snark,

it is always a great pleasure making the acquaintance of people who enthusiastic - but not fanatic or dogmatic - about their art.

So, I can only reciprocate your sentiment.

:)

I got into martial arts in 1984 but found Wing Chun in 1991. Over the years I had the opportunity to learn from many different masters. I was with Keith Kernspecht's WT organization until 2004, then checked out some options and was lucky enough to find Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun (a derivative of YKS/SN Wing Chun from Gongjaau), I practiced this until a few years ago. Recently, I have been accepted into the Cho Ga Wing Chun family which is the 詠春 I am learning now.

br

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as plum flower poles, this kind of training is a generic gong fu thing. Did YM teach this specificallybas a part of some structured curriculum or did some of his students "import" the idea because they found it useful to their training, only the ones who did it know...

It is not unusual for a teacher to be "blamed" by his students' changes, additions, modifications, etc.

;)

Some of YM's students taught this type of training, it would seem. An example is Chow Tze Chuen.

br

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you again,

I will have a further look into the lineages you listed, I think I have seen some examples of Cho Ga Wing Chun videos uploaded to youtube by an Eric Ling which I found exceptionally interesting. Though I appreciate it is the smallest glimpse from an outside view.

Regarding Civil disagreement... I am a big fan of the Dalai Lama quote of:
'When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.'
not that I am a Buddhist and everything within reason and all that...

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got into martial arts in 1984 but found Wing Chun in 1991. Over the years I had the opportunity to learn from many different masters. I was with Keith Kernspecht's WT organization until 2004, then checked out some options and was lucky enough to find Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun (a derivative of YKS/SN Wing Chun from Gongjaau), I practiced this until a few years ago. Recently, I have been accepted into the Cho Ga Wing Chun family which is the 詠春 I am learning now.

br

Careful brother! Someone might accuse you of being a "collector"! :p

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
Snark,

there are different "versions" of Cho Ga Wing Chun.

The videos Eric Ling posted are from his visit at master Cheung Wai Bor's place in Penang. Our lineage is another one.

This is a "demo" version of the SLT form performed at the Kung Fu Corner in Kowloon Park, HK.

The performer is my Sigong, Master Ku Choi Wah from Malaysia/Singapore.

You won't be able to find much information about this style online because it is rarely taught and seen in public.

br

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
KPM,

(better not let people know all the other things I have trained in over the years, then... ;) )

Seriously, though.

I do not mind what people call me...

My Sifu knows me and continues to teach me, that is important.

What others think, say or feel is of no significance.

I respect each sifu's teachings as a tradition and feel they should be preserved as they are.

I have no desire to create my own style or method - nor do I mix methods.

I am not a teacher and - being a bit of a conservative traditionalist - I feel that the teachings of the school should not be shared with people outside of the family.

I don't write books or sell video tapes to monetize what I have learned over the years.

I do not claim to be a master of or anything - I most defintely am not!

etc...

;)

So no one should have a problem with me.

If they do, well...

Ironically, many of the people who call others collectors have many years in the arts and over the course of their "career", they have dabbled in many different arts and styles themselves...

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Ironically, many of the people who call others collectors have many years in the arts and over the course of their "career", they have dabbled in many different arts and styles themselves...:)

^^^^ Ain't that the truth! ;)

You mentioned that since '91 you have spent time in three WC/WT systems. Would you be willing to share what you personally liked or disliked most about the two branches you trained in previously and what drew you into your current lineage? :)

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jlq,

Thank you for posting the video. Master Ku Choi Wah's exceptional skill is very evident in the execution of his movements.

I recognise enough to appreciate that as this is his open demonstration version of the form, his understanding must be very deep indeed.

Respect.

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
Geezer,

that is a very easy answer - but maybe a bit boring...

The truth is:

All of the systems I have formally learned - and the many others I have experienced in one form and another - I like all of it, no dislikes.

All excellent stuff!

Just different ways and ideas...

The reasons for leaving my previous styles have nothing to do with me looking for sth more or better. One could say, it was necessitated by politics and philosophical conflicts.

As far as chosing to learn Cho Ga Wing Chun, I was very fortunate to get this opportunity. I met Master Ku Choi Wah the first time 10 years ago in Fatsaan and met him again several time over the years as he was a regular guest at various gong fu events in Gongjaau. What impressed me about him was his very friendly and humble nature and openness in sharing his gong fu with others - and of course his ability to apply it. He has some pretty unique and extremely impressive skills, I have not seen or experienced from anyone else. You'd have to feel it applied on you to really appreciate it.
Anyhow, I was fortunate to get acquainted with one of his students and we got along famously. He was just as generous as Master Ku with his knowledge and also had a very impressive skill set - eventually accepted me as a student.

The point is, to me it is really about the people, not so much the style.

(but this being said: Cho Ga Wing Chun ist best 詠春 out there!!! ;p :D :D )

br

Latest Discussions