The Cross-Counter

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Cross, as we know it now, didn't exist in early boxing. A punch with the back hand was simply called a "Rear Straight." A "Cross" was an abbreviation for the term "Cross-Counter."

The Cross-Counter was a single-time counter-punch in which a defender would let the attacker's Lead Straight (usually a straight left) pass over his right shoulder and punch the attacker in the left side of his head, crossing his right over the attacker's left. Everyone knew it and you see it all the way up through even the great Jack Dempsey.

Besides the Cross-Counter, there were other, similar, single-time counter-punches. One of the most interesting ones is to avoid the Lead Straight Left by stepping to the right and upper-cutting underneath the opponents left arm.

Here's a sample of a few of them.

Theory and Practice of Boxing - Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Donnelly's Right Hand Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Doran's Right-Hand Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Shaw's Right-hand Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Fitzsimmons Duck and Right Hand Body Blow:
picture.php

Davie's Cigarette Cards - Right Hand Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Corbett - Crossing on the Jaw:
picture.php

Corbett - Left-hand Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Davies - Avoiding the right and Cross-Countering with the right:
picture.php

Davies - Avoiding a right lead and Cross-Countering with and uppercut:
picture.php

Dempsey - Cross-Counter
picture.php

Edwards - Cross-Counter:
picture.php

Davies - Avoiding a left lead at the head and Cross-Countering with an uppercut:
picture.php

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I enjoy threads about historical martial arts. IMO there should be a folder just for posting about it.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, you see it sometimes in boxing/mma still. But it seems like it's not specifically identified anymore by most modern boxers. <shrug>

Funny thing, I had an argument online (I know, I know) on rec.boxing with a fella who claimed that this couldn't be done. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fighterxaos

White Belt
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of stuff I came here to learn. I do know the cross counter, there's even some fictional pugilists that use the cross counter. But I didn't know that the cross back then just meant cross counter. I'd definitely visit a section specifically for historical martial arts, it would probably get more traffic than you think. :)

Last edited:
OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of stuff I came here to learn. I do know the cross counter, there's even some fictional pugilists that use the cross counter. But I didn't know that the cross back then just meant cross counter.
If you look at the old manuals, the "cross" doesn't appear as anything other than a cross-counter prior to the middle (or later) of the 20th Century.

I'd definitely visit a section specifically for historical martial arts, it would probably get more traffic than you think. :)
Maybe. I know that, for Western Arts, anyhow, most of them get discussed in the WMA subforum, except for Wrestling and Boxing which have their own forums.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
awesome thread. I really love this stuff.
I actually used one or two of those!

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know that!

Lots of great images to show examples!

Slip and counter punch