The Cane

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They are rare, and the website i used for resources i think shut down or is being revamped. I think there is one or two people in the U.S, one or two in the U.K and one or two in Germany, or some people travel to Germany to teach it.

Namely why they gave advice on which styles would give you the best base to interpret bartitsu from. Dont get lulled in though, some people just use it as a buzzword term to attract people but its not actually bartitsu. Like they will call their cane fighting or choreography bartitsu. But it is just fundamentally, Japanese wrestling (not too sure if it was Jujitsu or judo now i think back,probably former this is before judo i think) Savate, British boxing and Vigney cane.

Actually, if you have any sort of stick work backing i think the bartitsu compendium might have some vigney cane techniques or something in it. Cant say for sure though i have yet to buy them, link to the first volume on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bartitsu-Com...00262QZHW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I think one is more history the other is more technique. So you could probably try and adapt something from it.

Just discovered a Bartitsu school in my state
The Bartitsu Club of NYC

but it is about 150 miles away

D

Deleted member 39746

Just discovered a Bartitsu school in my state
The Bartitsu Club of NYC

but it is about 150 miles away

Ironically enough i think that was one of the ones i was thinking of, i swear one of the people in the photo looks familar. Anyway im book marking that if i ever venture to new york i have a place to learn bartitsu. :p (if its active when i visit anyway)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I taught a cane class to some older martial artists (50s to 80s) for a while based on Latosa Escrima Concepts. We focused establishing distance and exploiting the inherent advantages of the cane as a fairly long weapon, with a lot of emphasis on striking, stabbing, and getting the heck away from a threat. Most of the cane courses I've seen on Youtube, especially the hapkido/kuk sool type stuff, emphasize close-in work, sometimes using the cane for hooking, locking and pain submissions. --Definitely not my approach! In a self defense situation it's about the last thing I'd recommend for an older individual when confronting a younger, stronger attacker.

Now I'd be glad to work with you, but the drive from upstate New York down to Phoenix might get a little tiring, especially if we wanted to meet several times a week. So instead why not try this guy, Jack Latorre: Mataas na Guro Jack Latorre

Now for what it's worth, I've never met Jack in person, nor have I trained Pekiti. But I did train "DTE" for years with Jack's big brother Jeff in Gilbert, AZ. And from all that I heard, you should check him out. Oh, and another thing, he used to post on here! Now that's a solid recommendation. :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I taught a cane class to some older martial artists (50s to 80s) for a while based on Latosa Escrima Concepts. We focused establishing distance and exploiting the inherent advantages of the cane as a fairly long weapon, with a lot of emphasis on striking, stabbing, and getting the heck away from a threat. Most of the cane courses I've seen on Youtube, especially the hapkido/kuk sool type stuff, emphasize close-in work, sometimes using the cane for hooking, locking and pain submissions. --Definitely not my approach! In a self defense situation it's about the last thing I'd recommend for an older individual when confronting a younger, stronger attacker.

Now I'd be glad to work with you, but the drive from upstate New York down to Phoenix might get a little tiring, especially if we wanted to meet several times a week. So instead why not try this guy, Jack Latorre: Mataas na Guro Jack Latorre

Now for what it's worth, I've never met Jack in person, nor have I trained Pekiti. But I did train "DTE" for years with Jack's big brother Jeff in Gilbert, AZ. And from all that I heard, you should check him out. Oh, and another thing, he used to post on here! Now that's a solid recommendation. :)

Sure you tll me this now, why didn't you tell me this BEFORE I went to Pheonix :D

Thanks, I'll think about it, but that is 3.5 hours away from me

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you are ever in the Rochester area then yes Jack, who is now a Tuhon, is an excellent instructor and practitioner. He and I came up through the system together and have continued to teach together at seminars and camps. We will be teaching together at the Pekiti-Tirsia International 2019 camp in Fishkill August 2-3-4.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that single stick crosses over to cane easily. If there is an ATA school near you, we train with the single stick and the cane both.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you are ever in the Rochester area then yes Jack, who is now a Tuhon, is an excellent instructor and practitioner. He and I came up through the system together and have continued to teach together at seminars and camps. We will be teaching together at the Pekiti-Tirsia International 2019 camp in Fishkill August 2-3-4.

That is a whole lot closer to my house...... not sure how the knee will be by then, but is there anything for a beginner there?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a whole lot closer to my house...... not sure how the knee will be by then, but is there anything for a beginner there?
We will be covering a lot because it is a camp.
The 5-Attacks subsystem is what I teach beginners who already have martial arts experience and that will be covered.
So yes. We have training for beginners to highly advanced so would love to have you. I'll pm you a flyer with more info and you can go to www.pekiti.com

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We will be covering a lot because it is a camp.
The 5-Attacks subsystem is what I teach beginners who already have martial arts experience and that will be covered.
So yes. We have training for beginners to highly advanced so would love to have you. I'll pm you a flyer with more info and you can go to www.pekiti.com

Thanks

D

Deleted member 39746

I agree that single stick crosses over to cane easily. If there is an ATA school near you, we train with the single stick and the cane both.

Gotta ask, what is ATA, i would google but with acronyms you really never know.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

American Taekwondo Association. One of many branches of TKD. They use the SongAm forms. I don't recall the origins off hand, but I think they are an early ITF branch.

D

Deleted member 39746

American Taekwondo Association. One of many branches of TKD. They use the SongAm forms. I don't recall the origins off hand, but I think they are an early ITF branch.

OHHHHH, i thought it was that, i had a blank as i thought it was a FMA style, pahahaha.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally, it was the American Taekwondo Association (and still is to us old dinosaurs), but then they got big internationally and just use the initials and something like Always Take Action as the motto.

Latest Discussions