The C Guard

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guards are useless for fighting? Someone better let all the, uh, fighters, know.

Particularly if that guard places the user at high risk for a broken arm. And particularly if that risk has been born out in training experiences. I think I'll always spar from a one-legged stance, looking behind me and not at my opponent. Thankfully, so many people are so nice, no one will ever knock my hide over or bust me in the head to illustrate that this is a bad idea. Heck; they might as well stick a finger in my eye, as test the sensibility of position and response.

Thank god martial arts aren't a contact sport or anything like that.

OP
FeralKenpo

FeralKenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't mean to come across as though I thought guarding oneself is useless, what I meant to say was posing is pointless.

Do you think the people who created kenpo kata added these poses into the forms for the sake of the form?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking these questions because if there is an application, I'd like to know it.

I didn't mean to seem rude, I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.

Thank you

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't mean to come across as though I thought guarding oneself is useless, what I meant to say was posing is pointless.

Do you think the people who created kenpo kata added these poses into the forms for the sake of the form?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking these questions because if there is an application, I'd like to know it.

Thank you

you know the best way to find applications is to try things out with a partner. use this part of the form with what came just before or what comes afterand see. Get a good partner to work with and go through various attacks one by one. first slow with out much resistance and focusing on the proper body mechanics and see what the move does...if anything. then up the resistence and intensity from your partner a bit ...to test it out. you will probasbly find a great deal of crap but everyone once in a while something good comes up. Be creative enough to find 'new' things and be honest enough to throw out the crap no matter how excited you may have been at the original thought. the mechanics and basics of the form are essential...sequencing and directions are of secondary importance. have fun, learn, ask questions, come back and teach us some stuff!

respectfully,
Marlon

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank you
Its a great position to pass through but I wouldn't want to stand there...

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think few, if any, of us have access to the minds of those that created the forms. Some of us have instructors that use them as a basis for teaching, some of us have instructors that use them as a requirement, and little more. My perspective is that the forms have been given to us/me, with or without application, and it is my duty and responsibility to extract from them what I can. My imagination and inquisitiveness is the only thing that is limiting me. Earlier in the thread, the OP asked for some specific applications. That gave me pause, as my take is only mine. We could postulate what we see, than argue who's "right". But it's really your kempo, so make it yours ...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm such a dork. I'm looking at it thinking, "Hey. This guy looks like Oyata-sensei." After 2 passes I think to read the blurb.

Duh,

Dave

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm such a dork. I'm looking at it thinking, "Hey. This guy looks like Oyata-sensei." After 2 passes I think to read the blurb.

Duh,

Dave

You have to kindof squint your eyes a bit when you watch it.

Also if you hold the ALT key and press the F4 key it helps too.:wink2:

But seriouly that footage is part of a tape I was allowed to copy a few years ago. it has all 5 pinans, Naihanchi 1 & 2, and 3 other kata as well, demonstrated and then a series of applications for each. (Many of the applications have the uki in protective gear with a crash pad behind him! You gotta love ryukyu!)

I forget what I traded for it now, but I sure got the better end of that stick. It's pure kempo, there are answers to questions I can't even ask yet on there.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been taught a good throw with this move. if you are in close and pivot to the other direction while using this positiion one arm on top of the shoulder or arm of the opponent and the other under the arm...also if you consider the cup and saucer as a grab of a kick then step out with this move it lifts the leg and protects the head and can send someone flying.

marlon

marlon, did that YT video I posted look like the application you are describing?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dug thorugh my 'secret sauce' video and found an application of the C-guard.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L1re-o6uxdk
OK, admittedly OT a little, but toward the end, I loved the kick to the knee which resulted in a take down (defender flat on his face).

Back on topic: I think the knife hand take down in the vid is a good interpretation, and could work under pressure. To me, it would all hinge on the upper arm actually getting/maintaining a grip on the attacker's right arm. From there, it's just following through.

Another app I've seen for this, from Iain Abernethy, is against a left-arm attack by opponent. Overhead head of the C intercepts and locks on, while upright arm applies pressure behind the attacking tricep, setting up a figure four lock as defender bends the attacking elbow and locks hands.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, admittedly OT a little, but toward the end, I loved the kick to the knee which resulted in a take down (defender flat on his face).

Back on topic: I think the knife hand take down in the vid is a good interpretation, and could work under pressure. To me, it would all hinge on the upper arm actually getting/maintaining a grip on the attacker's right arm. From there, it's just following through.

Another app I've seen for this, from Iain Abernethy, is against a left-arm attack by opponent. Overhead head of the C intercepts and locks on, while upright arm applies pressure behind the attacking tricep, setting up a figure four lock as defender bends the attacking elbow and locks hands.
Yes, I've worked that one too, its' more difficult vs a punch but the lock is there.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wow, did thy scrape my video out of youtube or is that just a link to my youtube page?