The Buddhist Heart of Star Wars

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really didn't know where else to post this, since it doesn't really involve Philosophy and Spirituality in the Arts. But, since the swordplay in the Star Wars saga is based on a combination of Western, Japanese, and Filipino sword arts, I figured, what the heck.

http://www.livingdharma.org/Real.World.Buddhism/StarWars-Brenion.html

At the very least, it is a very cool article for all of you out there who are into Buddhism, Star Wars, or both. Enjoy.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really didn't know where else to post this, since it doesn't really involve Philosophy and Spirituality in the Arts. But, since the swordplay in the Star Wars saga is based on a combination of Western, Japanese, and Filipino sword arts, I figured, what the heck.

http://www.livingdharma.org/Real.World.Buddhism/StarWars-Brenion.html

At the very least, it is a very cool article for all of you out there who are into Buddhism, Star Wars, or both. Enjoy.

I'm afraid to read. What I do know is that "Jedi" comes from the Japanese "Jediki" which are Japanese Samurai movies (like American Kung Fu flicks), and that the Jedi Code and such are largely based on the code of Bushido.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid to read. What I do know is that "Jedi" comes from the Japanese "Jediki" which are Japanese Samurai movies (like American Kung Fu flicks), and that the Jedi Code and such are largely based on the code of Bushido.

The Japanese / Bushido influence is barely mentioned in this article. It is written from a "Pure Land" Buddhist perspective.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Japanese / Bushido influence is barely mentioned in this article. It is written from a "Pure Land" Buddhist perspective.

My point is, 'this is all I know on the subject, and I'm afraid to find out more'

Latest Discussions