The biggest loser

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome just saw on my TV guide that there's a new series of the biggest loser USA starting tomorrow. Now I know for Americans its probably very old now but over here we don't get it until years in advance. I love watching that type of show because it shows the strength and determination and the benefits of hard work (also can keep you motivated as you see what state people can get into if they don't do any exercise and eat junk all the time. Definetely gives you motivation to go for a run lol )

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use to watch it. Thought it was interesting. I stopped after they fired Anna Kournikova as one of the trainers. I thought they didn't give her a chance.
I also liked the way Jillian Michaels trained her team. Not sure who the current trainers are.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I should add that I don't agree with the way they lose all that weight in such a short time. I think it's unhealthy. I'm fortunate in that I have never had to do that. I've always stayed in shape with consistent training and nutrition. But I do think the show is interesting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad thing is that almost all of those contestants regain all their fat after they're finished.

They do because of the way it was lost, if you starve a body it will do it's best to regain body fat, the metabolism slows down to enable it to keep and put on more fat. done properly over a length of time the fat isn't put back on, you cannot starve yourself the way the programme suggests, you cannot lose huge amounts of weight in such a short time and not expect your body to be damaged.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The show is based on entertainment, not health. Sensible training and long term weight loss would be boring, and a ratings disaster.The contestants know what they are getting into. They compete for money. Similar to shows like 'Survivor' and some fighting and sporting events.
Imagine MMA or Football with no contact allowed, it would be healthy for the contestants but who would watch? Flag football has never really caught on as a big money sport :D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
They haven't officially cancelled the show, but there are no plans for "auditions" for a new season. I think that after last season where the winner looked anorexic (even the coaches looked shocked when they saw her) and the other bad press about assistants asking them to take diet pills etc. it has been placed on hold indefinitely.