The best way to hold a staff

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very broadly, and certainly not exclusively...
You have three holds, front, middle, and rear. These are based on how much of the stick is in front of you.
You also have single and double hand grips. Really, there's only one way to do a single hand grip. :) Double hand, there are three: both palms up, both palms down, and mixed (one each way).

Everything else comes down to combining these.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In one of the staff forms I learned (second northern Shaolin staff form), we alternate between holding one end of the staff and the middle. You hold the end of the staff for long range, and the middle for close range. For Wing Chun you just hold the one end of the Boon Kwan because it's not practical to hold the middle (it's too long). In monkey style the staff is always held in the middle. Maybe some monkey styles hold the end tho I'm not too sure.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It really depends on the overall methodology, which includes methods of power generation, specific techniques, and tactics in combat and application. It is a complete picture, or should be at any rate.

It's not really possible to answer in a big general sort of way, other than to say that holding at one end gives you greater reach, while holding in the middle let's you switch ends more quickly. But that is not absolute, there are methods that cross over.

I would just add it also depends on the length of the staff. There really is no practical way to hold the Luk Dim Boon Kwan in the middle dividing it into thirds, as one example.

VintageModMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think another good question would be length of staff would be dependent on style and hold. IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Its Funny....Until you see the Bunkai interpretation and then your like

Kid has skill!

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think another good question would be length of staff would be dependent on style and hold. IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well while it has been noted that length of staff is important the other point you raise is, I think, a chicken and the egg kinda thing. Is the style what determines staff length of the length of the staff involve the style. As an example, it is said by some that the length of the Luk Dim Boon Kwan used in WC is because it was added later by the Red Boat Opera and their poles were LONG because they simply adapted the pole used to guide barges and boats along the water ways.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say...

Holding Centered

Holding centered has advantages in that it can be quicker to deploy, you get more choice in how you deploy it, and you can follow up quicker. It's also MUCH better for demonstrations as you spin around the center of mass. It's going to be better against an opponent that is closer in, and work better with your footwork.

Holding to One End

Holding on one end gives you more reach and more power, as the lever arm is longer. This will be better if you want powerful sweeping strikes to keep someone at bay.

I mostly train centered, but I'd probably hold towards one end if I needed a staff to defend myself.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say...

Holding Centered

Holding centered has advantages in that it can be quicker to deploy, you get more choice in how you deploy it, and you can follow up quicker. It's also MUCH better for demonstrations as you spin around the center of mass. It's going to be better against an opponent that is closer in, and work better with your footwork.

Holding to One End

Holding on one end gives you more reach and more power, as the lever arm is longer. This will be better if you want powerful sweeping strikes to keep someone at bay.

I mostly train centered, but I'd probably hold towards one end if I needed a staff to defend myself.
I train both, and the transition between. If I ever get a student to that point in my curriculum, I’ll teach center over-under hold as the foundation.