The best martial art for someone with great reflexes?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo just means martial art, really, so I can't say the Kenpo guys are good, or bad. If they are great kickers, like they study TKD, I don't like it. :)

OP
Seahorse23

Seahorse23

White Belt
Reaction score
Huge thanks for all of this! Hopefully I'll be able to help you all in return someday.

OP
Seahorse23

Seahorse23

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually, this one has a FMA component: Mousel's Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Is that place too far for you Seahorse?

I'm checking it out on Wednesday. We'll see how this goes. As I've read up more on aikido, I think it's philosophy works best for me (a lot of the police around here are trained in aikido and krav maga). But the martial arts center right up the street from me is probably not it.

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since you have a flexible schedule, I'd visit all of the schools that interest you. As everyone here will likely tell, the right instructor/school/fellow students will probably mean more for the right fit than the style itself will.

Do you want something that involves (friendly, of course) competition, or is that not a factor?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
6. Unusually fast reflexes/reaction time. I'd say this is my greatest strength.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

You should try Tai Chi. Most of the people I've seen who practice it are way too slow to make it effective. It's like they're moving in slow motion, or something.

;)

Pax,

Chris

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm checking it out on Wednesday. We'll see how this goes. As I've read up more on aikido, I think it's philosophy works best for me (a lot of the police around here are trained in aikido and krav maga). But the martial arts center right up the street from me is probably not it.

You never really said why you want to take a martial art. Is learning to how to actually fight an actual priority? Or is this more of a fun past time?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To the OP:

Short folks make good wrestlers, low centre of gravity and all that. Fast reflexes don't hurt, but they can be improved through training.

I would suggest Judo, not because it's one of the arts I study, but because I think it may suit you. I have the hardest time throwing short folks.

Judo will also give you a reasonable ground game, certainly good enough for most purposes, and better than most other arts. Don't think that you'll be a match for an equivalently-ranked BJJ guy on the ground though.

OP
Seahorse23

Seahorse23

White Belt
Reaction score
Welp, the decision has largely been made for me. The Aikido class is closest to me and is the most affordable. I'm not really interested in aikido, but I guess it will be a good starting point. Later on, I can migrate toward something else.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Welp, the decision has largely been made for me. The Aikido class is closest to me and is the most affordable. I'm not really interested in aikido, but I guess it will be a good starting point. Later on, I can migrate toward something else.

While I don't know your circumstances, I would pick something that you want to do. Have you taken a class at all of the potential schools?

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You should try Tai Chi. Most of the people I've seen who practice it are way too slow to make it effective. It's like they're moving in slow motion, or something.

;)

Pax,

Chris

Yes sir you should.

OP
Seahorse23

Seahorse23

White Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha! Tai Chi may be just as practical as aikido...

OP
Seahorse23

Seahorse23

White Belt
Reaction score
To the OP:

Short folks make good wrestlers, low centre of gravity and all that. Fast reflexes don't hurt, but they can be improved through training.

I would suggest Judo, not because it's one of the arts I study, but because I think it may suit you. I have the hardest time throwing short folks.

Judo will also give you a reasonable ground game, certainly good enough for most purposes, and better than most other arts. Don't think that you'll be a match for an equivalently-ranked BJJ guy on the ground though.

Thanks! I actually enjoyed the Judo class to boot. And man, what a workout!

Latest Discussions