The best advice my instructor gave me was...

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

How about this: What is the best piece of advice that your Hapkido instructor has ever given you? Practical, philosophical, metaphysical...whatever.

Let's get the discussion back to Hapkido -

Sicerely,

Kevin Sogor

OP
iron_ox

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

OK, I have a few, so I'll get the ball rolling:

"Teach everything the way you have been taught, then teach TO each student so that they can put everything into practice themselves..."

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Not sure why you want to limit this thread to Hapkido instructors, but ok...

I only trained in Hapkido as young kid, so I don't remember too much of my instructor's advice from then. But there's one bit of advice in sparring that I do remember, and I'm glad for it: "Keep your guard up." :)

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't call this "advice" as such but it was an exchange I had with my sword master through one of the Korean students as I was watching him practice his cutting. Noting my observing he mentioned that learning to perform a decent cut required "10,000" cuts of newspaper before moving on to the next material. Trying to be clever I responded back through the student that maybe he could certainly get by with 5,000 cuts as it was still a respectable number. "No", he said said, "I would know the difference". I pressed the point thinking that he had misunderstood my point and repeated that 5,000 cuts was still a respectable number and it was not like anyone was keeping count over his shoulder. "No", he said " I would know the difference." FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greeting to All,

My teacher says the following and it for both teachers & students.

In broken english he says: GOOD TEACHER GOOD STUDENT!
BAD TEACHER BAD STUDENT!

Very appropriated and very true.

S

SmellyMonkey

1. Don't think about what your attacker will do to you. Think about what you will do to your attacker.

2. Make your first strike/technique count. If your first strike/technique doesn't work, you open yourself up to being countered.

and my favorite (regarding martial arts training)

Everyone has something to teach you.

D

Disco

What is the best piece of advice that your Hapkido instructor has ever given you?

In his broken english........"You suck! - Go buy gun"... :whip: :rolleyes:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aside from being a lovely and kind person, my Hapkido instructor, after a particularly long and rough-on-each-other practice session, would take the last 5-10 minutes and teach us how to massage and otherwise re-align each other, so we all left class feeling worn out and tired, but not in agonizing pain.

Good man.

Latest Discussions