The Art Of Reading

Discussion in 'Japanese Swords and Sword Arts' started by HawkHunt, Jul 26, 2016.

1. HawkHunt

HawkHunt White Belt

Allright so this may not be for everyone. Because not everyone cares about the why's in their the art they study.

But my personal philosophy for life, my three pillars if you will, dicate that I must train the mind aswell.

I wont go into my personal philosophy here don't worry. I was however curious about how many other share my habit of learning about other styles of the sword through literature.

Do we have a literature list or shall we make one?

I would start of with a few of the most famous books out there regarding the sword:

The Book Of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

The Book Of Family Traditions On The Art Of War - Yagyu Munenori

The Art Of War -Sun Tzu

I am sure there are many other books that are great. As a side note I really want to start reading about Confucius.

Should any of you be, for whatever reason, curious about my personal philosophy then ask away!

2. Red Sun

Red Sun Green Belt

3. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    The Japanese Way Of The Artist
    by H. E. Davey

This book is actually three complete works:
    Living The Japanese Arts & Ways
    Brush Meditation
    The Japanese Way Of The Flower​

It is relatively inexpensive:
    https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Way...r=8-1&keywords=the+japanese+way+of+the+artist

Before reading this book, I had never experienced terms like 'shugyo' and 'furyo'.

Beware that this is philosophy and meditation upon 'do'. It is not about how to hit people or when to do so.

4. Jameswhelan

Jameswhelan Yellow Belt

'Hyoho Michishirube' by Shirai Toru. It's a commentary on a very strange and interesting old book about swordsmanship associated with Kukamishin ryu called the Shinken Kakkiron!

5. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Just the famous ones. OK. How about Fiore, McBane, Le Marchant, Burton, Hutton, Nadi, Patton, or Document No. 286; War Department - Office of the Chief of Staff (Provisional Regulations for Saber Exercise, United States Army).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Like Like x 2
  6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

For HNIR practitioners, The Book of Five Rings is required reading. To the OP, you're not going to get much out of it if you're not practicing HNIR, it's just that simple. Or at least, you're not going to get out of it what was intended, most likely. That doesn't mean don't read it, just be aware that you are missing vital context if you don't practice Musashi's art. Maybe you do?

I would, for general tactics of swordsmanship, recommend the so-called "Dobringer" manuscript, HS 3227a. It's the first manuscript in the Liechtenauer tradition, but talks a fair amount in general terms, making it far more useful for sword art practitioners in general than later manuscripts which are far more technical and specific to the style. Here are two different translations:

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Dobringer_A5_sidebyside.pdf
    Nuremberg Hausbuch (MS 3227a) ~ Wiktenauer ~☞ Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

• Like Like x 3
  7. oaktree

oaktree Master of Arts

The deity and the sword since I am a tksr guy, legacies of the sword are my two favorite ones. I also like the yagyu book but I missed my chance to study that style.

• Like Like x 1