The Anti-Canada movement...

OP
T

TheRustyOne

Originally posted by Technopunk
But then again, my motto has always been Club Seals, Not Sandwiches!

OMG! that's a good motto, if you don't like club sandwiches -- which I do. :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont mind Club Sandwiches, but given the choice, a little sensless violence goes a long way...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the real problem that these protestors have? What is their arguement? Are seals on the verge of becoming extinct? Could they be if they legalize seal clubing?

I really don't know the issue. I do know that Native American people do hunt and use seals for food and their coats. I see nothing wrong with this. This is a way for them to survive. But what about the rest??? :idunno:

I know that an "Anti-Canadian" movement seems dumb to me. The U.S. does more damage to the environment then Canada, yet this doesn't justify an "anti-American" movement. You protest the "law" or the actions, not the country itself!

However, does anyone here think that Seal clubbing shoud be illegal? I'd like to hear the arguements behind why, because I honestly don't know much on the subject.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Club away. I wouldn't enjoy watching it, but the same is true of the process by which cows become steak.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with hunting for food or clothing.

I do see something wrong with hunting for sport or to make some rich yippie a fashion plate.

If there was a way to use the meat to feed the hungry, then sure...but most food kitchens are legaly prevented from accepting it. So it rots.

To me, thats just wrong...but then again, every day we bury tons of meat and think nothing of it.

I mean, the seals and deer can't fight back...make it a real sport.

Hunt martialartists. :)

on PPV.

We could raise alot of cash. :)

:rofl:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
The people clubbing them.

If "they" are natives who use the seal as a source of food/warmth then I see nothing wrong with it. I have a major problem with it if they are being commercially hunted or harvested by large #'s just for their hides.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
If "they" are natives who use the seal as a source of food/warmth then I see nothing wrong with it. I have a major problem with it if they are being commercially hunted or harvested by large #'s just for their hides.

I think this is so and I agree with Kaith that wasting food like that is simply wrong.

But I also agree withg those who say there are other animals we use for similar purposes.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

k guys I did a search for some information. Seems the main resource for seals are the fir and the oil from the blubber. But the meat is also used, manyly by Newfoundlanders, I myself have had "Flipper Pie" and it wasn't bad.

Here's a link that seems to have a lot of information for anyone that's interested.

Newfoundland Seal Hunt

You can make your own decissions, btw I learned that cod is NOT the main food source for seals, so I was wrong in that fact.

Dot
:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I think this is so and I agree with Kaith that wasting food like that is simply wrong.

But I also agree withg those who say there are other animals we use for similar purposes.

This is true; I also disagree with not using the whole animal in any circumstance. If we are going to kill a living thing, we should utilize as much of the resource as we can. To not do this is disrespectful to life, in my opinion. I know that slaughter houses don't always use the whole animal; but @ least w/ chickens, pigs, and cattle, we are able to use as much of the animal as possible.

But to harvest something like mink or seal just for it's hide, I think is wasteful and disrespectful to life. I find danger in commercially hunting an animal just for it's skin also because it could someday jeprodize the species (extinction).

I don't know much about the whole seal hunting business, though, so I will read kenpoGirl's link and see what I can learn.

OP
M

MountainSage

I agree with the group, use all or most of the animal if your going to kill it. The pork industry has a say, " We use everything but the oink and were looking for a use for that."

Mountain Sage

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by MountainSage
I agree with the group, use all or most of the animal if your going to kill it. The pork industry has a say, " We use everything but the oink and were looking for a use for that."

Mountain Sage

I like that saying! :D

Latest Discussions