THAT guy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In your dojo. You know the one. Might be one of your instructors, might be all of them. Might be a guy who started with you, might be a guy who started just a few months ago, might be a guy who's been there for years, might be a guy you just stay away from. That's the guy you should spar, that's the guy you should hook up with to train with. That's the guy you should shadow, and bang with until he kills you....or not. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your dojo. You know the one. Might be one of your instructors, might be all of them. Might be a guy who started with you, might be a guy who started just a few months ago, might be a guy who's been there for years, might be a guy you just stay away from. That's the guy you should spar, that's the guy you should hook up with to train with. That's the guy you should shadow, and bang with until he kills you....or not. :)

Agreed. I try to always spar with my buddy Dale, who is an amazing martial artist. He's a recently-promoted Shodan, but that doesn't matter, the guy can beat me like eggs.

However, it is also important to spar with the new guys. They always say if you're going to get hurt, it will be from a new guy. New guys have a lot to teach you, sometimes. They are often wild and unpredictable, they do 'stupid' things that can still hurt you even if they are leaving themselves open, and they sometimes have a lot of power without the necessary focus to keep from hurting people in the dojo. It can be good to have to deal with that from time to time; keeps you sharp and your techniques have to be solid to work with things that are totally off the wall. I often walk away feeling a bit frazzled after sparring with an enthusiastic newcomer.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes we get locked into "the way" our art does things and the newbies/white belts can show you something new. I've mentioned in another thread about my BJJ blue belt guantlet where a guy had my arm and I expected an Americana but he instead wrist locked me.

That being said, I really like training with the guys that can throw me around like a rag doll. I know I will get tapped out but it feels like an accomplishment to do at least a single escape or a guard pass. I can't get away with sloppy technique with the advanced guys because they'll turn it against me. A couple of years in and I still get simply amazed how a guy 50+ lbs lighter than me can make me feel like a child on the matts because their JJ is so good.

Latest Discussions