Thanks for all of the comments on fasting guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, so you do understand. It is, in fact, widespread, though not ubiquitous. But, no, it doesn't cause them to eat processed food. It just limits their alternatives.
Well yes it limits there alternatives to catching a bus to a supper market,

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have always been obese children, always.
Most children aren't obese, don't spend hours on electronic gadgets and do actually do a lot of physical activities hence all the sports clubs we have here. yes there are obese children and adults, it's a growing problem but it's not a new problem.
It's very common for certain people to sit tutting at the younger generation as they look back over past years in their rose tinted glasses.

I've just sat and had a bit of a think about this...

At my kid's primary school there aren't any children that I'd consider obese. There are one or two slightly chubby ones, but even those I'd put money on being within the green band on a bmi chart.

The parents are a very similar story - a few a bit bigger, but none (ok, one...) that I've seen that seem to be compromised by their weight.

Go as little as 5 miles to a school a bit more 'urban' and it's an entirely different story.

In complete honesty, I don't remember it being massively different when I was at the same primary school and did things like inter-school competitions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've just sat and had a bit of a think about this...

At my kid's primary school there aren't any children that I'd consider obese. There are one or two slightly chubby ones, but even those I'd put money on being within the green band on a bmi chart.

The parents are a very similar story - a few a bit bigger, but none (ok, one...) that I've seen that seem to be compromised by their weight.

Go as little as 5 miles to a school a bit more 'urban' and it's an entirely different story.

In complete honesty, I don't remember it being massively different when I was at the same primary school and did things like inter-school competitions.
When I was at school, every class had one fat kid, that we called " fatty" you don't we that many more fat kids now, but when you do See a fat kid, it's a pound to a pinch of dirt they have fat parents , ergo, the problem isn't sugar it's bad parents

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yes it limits there alternatives to catching a bus to a supper market,

I can't speak to the situation in the US, but I can here...

I live in a rural area, surrounded by farmland.

The closest farm shop is twice as far away as the closest supermarket.

To get to the supermarket by bus would require me to take 3 different buses and over an hour each way to go about 8 miles.

I worked it out a couple of years ago, and to go into town by bus once per week (that's just to town, not out to the supermarket) would've cost more than I was paying at the time to run a Land Rover Discovery.

If you're truly on the financial borderline, public transport in rural areas is far from an economic solution.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I was at school, every class had one fat kid, that we called " fatty" you don't we that many more fat kids now, but when you do See a fat kid, it's a pound to a pinch of dirt they have fat parents , ergo, the problem isn't sugar it's bad parents
Give me a f-cking break. :mad:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

To get to the supermarket by bus would require me to take 3 different buses and over an hour each way to go about 8 miles.

I worked it out a couple of years ago, and to go into town by bus once per week (that's just to town, not out to the supermarket) would've cost more than I was paying at the time to run a Land Rover Discovery.

If you're truly on the financial borderline, public transport in rural areas is far from an economic solution.
Why didn't you just go to town in the disco?

Having Run a disco, I find that hard to believe And you can get a daysaver for the bus, about a Fiver for as many busses as you wish, you can't run a disco for 10 quid a week,It will cost you that in road tax

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why didn't you just go to town in the disco?

Having Run a disco, I find that hard to believe And you can get a daysaver for the bus, about a Fiver for as many busses as you wish, you can't run a disco for 10 quid a week,It will cost you that in road tax

You can't get those tickets around here...

In fact, you can't (couldn't) even buy a return ticket before 10am.

So, it was like 12 quid to get to town and back - more if I wanted to go out to the supermarket. (Probably could do it for about £9 all in if later in the day, but can you honestly get a week's worth of shopping on a bus anyway when the bus stop is 3/4 mile from home?)

Disco was £180 for tax, £140 for insurance, £30 for MOT and ~£3 in diesel for each trip into town.

£506 per year, or £9.73 per week if used only for one weekly trip to the shops.

Make that a tenner to include maintenance covering 832 miles per year.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's half eleven at night here, I'm off to walk a mile to the petrol station to buy a litre of choc chip ice cream to feast on, a fat person would drive there

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

So, it was like 12 quid to get to town and back - more if I wanted to go out to the supermarket. (Probably could do it for about £9 all in if later in the day, but can you honestly get a week's worth of shopping on a bus anyway when the bus stop is 3/4 mile from home?)

Disco was £180 for tax, £140 for insurance, £30 for MOT and ~£3 in diesel for each trip into town.

Oh, and double that bus fare if I wanted to take the wife (to make sure I did the shopping properly).

And say we wanted to go twice in a week - that's an extra £3 in the Disco, or another £18 by bus.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because kids and parents don't share any genetic features, at all. Good point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Of course you can carry a week's shopping, get on of them shopping trolleys or carry it and that's your weight training for the week

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because kids and parents don't share any genetic features, at all. Good point.
They also share life style choices, chances of fat pAren't r taking kids out for 20 mile bike ride on a suNday, vertUaly l nil as if they were they wouldn't be fat either

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the US, there typically isn't any public transit in rural areas. I've never lived within 2 miles of a bus stop. All but one of my houses was at least 10 miles from the nearest bus stop - probably twice that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also share life style choices, chances of fat pAren't r taking kids out for 20 mile bike ride on a suNday, vertUaly l nil as if they were they wouldn't be fat either
Your stated assumption is that it's entirely due to lifestyle choices. That ignores a fair bit of science.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course you can carry a week's shopping, get on of them shopping trolleys or carry it and that's your weight training for the week

A week's shopping for a family of 4?

Yeah, alright, if you say so - we go through 4+ pints of milk a day for a start, so that's 16.38kg off the bat right there (conservative estimate of 2.272 litres per day @ 1030g/l).

Go on, please try to best me with logistics and mathematics - I'm up for a giggle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A week's shopping for a family of 4?

Yeah, alright, if you say so - we go through 4+ pints of milk a day for a start, so that's 16.38kg off the bat right there (conservative estimate of 2.272 litres per day @ 1030g/l).

Go on, please try to best me with logistics and mathematics - I'm up for a giggle.
You didn't specify a) a family of 4 or b) that it was a greedy family. Get the kids to meet you at the bus stop and make them carry the milk, that way they may choose not to drink so much

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, also - just our weekly milk consumption would take ~80% of the payload or ~60% of the volume of your average granny trolley.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You didn't specify a) a family of 4 or b) that it was a greedy family. Get the kids to meet you at the bus stop and make them carry the milk, that way they may choose not to drink so much

Yeah, they could put cola on their cereal instead...

Edit: my kids are 9 and 6 - leaving them alone at home while I fanny about shopping for 3 hours isn't the most legal thing I could choose to do.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, another also.

Nobody stated not a family of 4.

And with your statements of a litre of ice cream a day, you honestly think you have anywhere to stand to call someone who goes through an average of one pint of milk a day greedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions