Thank you, Martial Talk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have recently started on Reddit, and I found a few Martial Arts subreddits. They have made me appreciate Martial Talk so much more. What I see very common over there, and very little of over here, is:
  • Blatant disrespect for other posters
  • Blatant disrespect for the art and style being trained
  • Gatekeeping (i.e. "you know a school is bad if they have kids classes")
  • Elitism
  • A whole lot of "only X art is good all other arts suck"

I may not agree with everything on MartialTalk, but you guys seem to come from a place of respect and understanding. This site is built around learning from each other and building each other up, encouraging each other to learn more and become better fighters.

Other places I've been have been more about tearing down everyone else and pumping yourself up to be the smartest artist.

Thank you, MT.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Respect and understanding? Screw you jerk you don't know me....

JOKE lol and yeah you should check out YouTube sometime that's even funnier or martial art yahoo answers was an old favourite to laugh at stupid posts Of people trying to act tough

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Respect and understanding? Screw you jerk you don't know me....

JOKE lol and yeah you should check out YouTube sometime that's even funnier or martial art yahoo answers was an old favourite to laugh at stupid posts Of people trying to act tough

The Youtube channels I go to usually have pretty decent communities.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind- on this site at least 80% of the active posters are older than you. On reddit i would bet 80% are younger

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently started on Reddit, and I found a few Martial Arts subreddits. They have made me appreciate Martial Talk so much more. What I see very common over there, and very little of over here, is:
  • Elitism

I may not agree with everything on MartialTalk, but you guys seem to come from a place of respect and understanding. This site is built around learning from each other and building each other up, encouraging each other to learn more and become better fighters.

Other places I've been have been more about tearing down everyone else and pumping yourself up to be the smartest artist.

Thank you, MT.
Well said. I spent time in MA discussion groups back in the day, and some were almost as good (combination of congenial and informative) as MT, though much smaller, but I haven't found anything similar in other forums for many years.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, HEY!!!

Who you callin' old!?!?

At the Black Belt testing, the kids have to read their essays. This one kid was a little quiet because he's very shy. My Master told him "speak up, I'm getting old and I don't hear well."

This teenager says "YES, SIR!"

Master: "You're saying I'm old?"

The teenager's face went from proud he said "yes, sir" to horrified in a matter of seconds. It was hilarious.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  • Elitism

Thank you, MT.

Wow....Skribs... didn't know you were so judgmental about other internet locales.

Very critical mindset.... seriously tho.

trollface.jpg

/funny /sarc

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Skribs. Though I don’t post often, I definitely feel there is more of a fellowship and comradeship here than other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk