Texas State Haidong Association

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I took the plunge today and joined the Texas State Haidong Association and by extention the U.S.A. Haidong Gumdo Association as well as the World Haidong Gumdo Federation. I've been wanting to do this for several years and I am looking forward to the training.

I had a abreviated class today and already know I will be sore tomorrow. I'm using muscles in a way I don't normally use them. I felt awkward and unsure of myself for the first time in a long time.

I got to meet the the Chief of Education for the World Haidong Gumdo Federation, Master Jeong-Woo, Kim and Master Julian Vasquez, SR. President of the Texas State Haidong Gumdo Associaton.

Last edited:

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was excited to see new activity here in the Korean sword section, So are you saying you took your first Gumdo class today? If Im understanding it right, welcome to a fun fast paced art.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was excited to see new activity here in the Korean sword section, So are you saying you took your first Gumdo class today? If Im understanding it right, welcome to a fun fast paced art.

Yes, I erolled in the Master's Program. We now have 7 or 8 schools in Texas.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a curious person involved in other swords arts, what drew you to Gumdo, and how did you make your decision to take lessons. Were you tempted by japanese kendo at all, and if it was in your area, what made you go with Gumdo? Just interested in the lure of the various sword arts from around the world.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a curious person involved in other swords arts, what drew you to Gumdo, and how did you make your decision to take lessons. Were you tempted by japanese kendo at all, and if it was in your area, what made you go with Gumdo? Just interested in the lure of the various sword arts from around the world.

I study Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido and have studied Tang Soo Do, I like the Korean Martial Arts. I like this particular organization because of research and the many recommendations over the years on this forum.

Gumdo, because of the fluidity of movement rather simulating battlefield conditions.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took the plunge today and joined the Texas State Haidong Association and by extention the U.S.A. Haidong Gumdo Association as well as the World Haidong Gumdo Federation. I've been wanting to do this for several years and I am looking forward to the training.

I had a abreviated class today and already know I will be sore tomorrow. I'm using muscles in a way I don't normally use them. I felt awkward and unsure of myself for the first time in a long time.

I got to meet the the Chief of Education for the World Haidong Gumdo Federation, Master Jeong-Woo, Kim and Master Julian Vasquez, SR. President of the Texas State Haidong Gumdo Associaton.
I have had telephone and e-mail contact with Master Vasquez. Very decent gent from what I can tell.

Daniel

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have had telephone and e-mail contact with Master Vasquez. Very decent gent from what I can tell.

Daniel

He is a decent man with a well run school, which is state of the art. He has spent quite a bit of his own money promoting Haidong Gumdo in the state of Texas. He has invested in an e-Learning Portal, helping students and Masters, alike.

The Masters and those in the Master's Program, meet monthly at one of the various participating school, rotating so no one has to drive more than their share. Masters, also, have to participate in four days training, four times per year.

Master Vasquez, Sr. is working hard to make Haidong Gumdo a success in the Great State of Texas!

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is wonderful all he is doing for promoting. So we should see you guys at the PanAm Open in Utah right?

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is wonderful all he is doing for promoting. So we should see you guys at the PanAm Open in Utah right?

Yes it is wonderful what Master Vasquez, Sr. is doing for Haidong Gumdo in Texas.

Perhaps you can expand upon your coments on the PanAm Open in Utah. Who is sponsoring it? What sword organizaiton is it affiliated with? Where will it be held? When will it be held?

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You havent heard of it yet? its Gumdo heaven. Ill send you a link
http://www.hgusopen.com/Home.aspx

Yes, I have heard of it, but I had no details. Thank you for listing the link. It looks very interested. It may be a bit premature for me to attend. I haven't been formally accepted into the program. Nevertheless, if I can find a way, I will be there. I travel, a lot, in my current line of business and I am through the Salt Lake City area occasionally.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tomorrow, those who want are meeting at Master Vasquez school, in Denton for three hours of training. I'm going, it will be my first formal training session. It is a three hour drive there and a three hour drive back home for three hours of training. I doubt everyone will show up on such short notice so I'm hoping for some one on one training.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hope you enjoy it, Let us know how it went!

Latest Discussions