Testing Tonight

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whooo-Hoooo!!! Congrats, Kyosa!!

When you can tilt your head enough to read this, I just wanted to say, "Way to go!"

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats UpNorth! Take care of that neck, can't wait to hear more about it! Way to go! :D

:partyon:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I'd like more details, especially since I recently started DanZan Ryu JuJitsu a few months ago. Your test will give me an idea of what I may need to do a few years down the road. Sounds like you did well. Sorry about your neck.... I hope you recover well.

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YOU ROCK!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :partyon:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, just found this thread. I was going to say that Upnorth doesn't need luck on this test, and then read that he'd passed, so, now I don't need to.
Anyway, congratsaplenty.

That should be a word. Congratsaplenty.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!
:partyon:
:CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF: :CTF:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Yes, I'd like more details, especially since I recently started DanZan Ryu JuJitsu a few months ago. Your test will give me an idea of what I may need to do a few years down the road. Sounds like you did well. Sorry about your neck.... I hope you recover well.

- Ceicei

My neck is okay. I'm taking the day off with regards to working out though...just to be safe.

I was informed by my sensei that he had e-mailed my Tang Soo Do instructor and recieved the reply, "kick his ***..." so they did. Knowing that, I may never get a regular test in DZR. Oh well.

The tests in DZR are assessments of learning. This means that they are very technical and specific. One needs to know ever detail and be able to apply.

One of the biggest problems I had is with the concept of ju. Softness or subtlety. I've trained in hard styles for a long time and when I grab someone, they know it and they aren't getting away if I can help it. DZR is more sneaky. When they grab, their intent is hidden until the very last second.

Like I said above, things that I've practiced for a long time contained this quality. Things that were new, were of green belt quality. My teacher said it was like watching a racehorse trip.

Are there any specific things that you want to know?

upnorthkyosa

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats Awesome!! Congrats!!!:partyon:

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats Upnorth, I would like to know the difference in your opinion on your old hard style test and the test of a soft style. I would imagine the soft style is more fluid.
Terry

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I passed...and I am tired. Sensei pulled out all of the stops. All in all, it wasn't too bad and in fact, I really am proud of myself as to how well I did at parts. One of the problems is that I've been doing a lot of this stuff for years and that some of it is dan level and some of it is not. So there is a disparity between techniques that is quite obvious. More later, I tweaked my neck a bit so I'm going to lay down.

upnorthkyosa

Congrats!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Congrats Upnorth, I would like to know the difference in your opinion on your old hard style test and the test of a soft style. I would imagine the soft style is more fluid.
Terry

Tang Soo Do is a hard and a soft style so some of the things are not unfamiliar. However, there are some techniques in jujutsu that are more subtle then I'm used to. They take a long time to develop and there is a lot of "feel" that is important.

Deashi Harai, for one. Usually, I just hack with my instep and remove obstructions that way. The DZR way has much more finesse. My teacher does this throw and one hardly feels a thing until one hits the mat.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Navarre said:
How's the neck feeling, Kyosa?

It feels fine until I turn my head a little to far. Then I get a shooting pain that goes right down my spine about to the point where one would strike for kappo. I was using my head to bridge like they used to teach me in my wrestling days. Well, now I know why its bad!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, at least you can still type on the forum. That's the important thing.

Hope you feel better soon. No breakdancing for 3 weeks.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
One of the biggest problems I had is with the concept of ju. Softness or subtlety. I've trained in hard styles for a long time and when I grab someone, they know it and they aren't getting away if I can help it. DZR is more sneaky. When they grab, their intent is hidden until the very last second.

Are there any specific things that you want to know?

upnorthkyosa

I'm running into the same problem so suggestions would be appreciated. How does one develop softness/subtlety? How can I allow myself to wait until the last second before making my move? It is quite different from the Kenpo approach.

- Ceicei

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I'm running into the same problem so suggestions would be appreciated. How does one develop softness/subtlety? How can I allow myself to wait until the last second before making my move? It is quite different from the Kenpo approach.

- Ceicei

I've been doing MA for almost 19 years, so I've had a long time to build certain habits. However, I find that when attempting to go from the "balls to the wall" approach to the more subtle, I find the following useful...

1. A beginners mind. I attempt to walk into class and be born again into this new art. I tell myself that I know nothing and I am open to everything my teacher says. For a while, I don't even ask questions, I just try to carefully ponder new ways from every different angle.

2. Think like a snake. Imagine lying quietly and slithering into position and snapping when ones opponent least expects it.

3. Old man's (woman's) art. Imagine what it would be like to practice the art when you are very old. Imagine performing the same techniques with as little strength as possible. Imagine not having the speed to pull things off...so one must rely on wits, strategy and cunning.

upnorthkyosa

PS - Thanks, Mr. Hubbard, for helping with the new MT belt...;)

Latest Discussions