Terminology distinction?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you define or differentiate between the terms "deflection" and "redirection"?
Thx!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A clarification: these are terms I just read in one of the JAMA articles (about WT punches) by a WT person named Master Webb.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you define or differentiate between the terms "deflection" and "redirection"?
Thx!

-----------------------------------------------To me- there is a difference. A deflection could be not as accurate and controlled as redirection. But meaning can vary with user

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me...deflection is causing a change of direction whereas a redirection is to change the path of something for the use of it differently.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is another term for "redirection" and that's "guide/tuck". You temporary "guide/tuck" your opponent's arm away from your next moving path. You may also try to take advantage on his reaction.

deflect - as long as your opponent's arm is away from your moving path, you don't care much about his arm position (conservative approach).
redirection (or guide/tuck) - you want your opponent's arm to be at the precise location (aggressive approach).

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't use either term. Both sound like arm-chasing tactics.

Deflection = parry the arm.
Redirection = guide the arm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx!

My understanding of the terms is that "deflection" is a block of sorts, letting the energy of the strike/attack disperse in whatever new direction you sent it, whereas "redirection" means you alter the direction of the strike/attack specifically to give you access to something new (perhaps a throw). That means with the deflection I don't care what new direction I give the attack, so long as it doesn't hit me, while with the redirection I pick a new direction with purpose beyond simply avoiding the strike.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me...

Deflection = preventing an attack from landing but without making any use of the energy
EXAMPLE: You use a pak sao to knock a punch to the head off course.

Redirection = you block the attack, but then use the energy to add power to your counter attack
EXAMPLE: If someone shoves you by pushing on your right shoulder, you pivot with their shove while punching. Thus you redirect the energy from their shove into your punch, making it hit harder.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I hear "redirect" I generally think of arts like Judo or Akido that actively use an opponent's energy against them by redirecting it and flowing it into a counter attack. I also think "redirecting" in this sense requires a fairly committed attack. In the context of WC, to "deflect" is more common and it has a much more passive connotation (in the WT I have seen first hand / been taught anyway) than "redirecting".

Basic example:
- An straight punch to the solar plexus is deflected just enough off its intended target by a punch slightly to the outside with good low elbow force.
- An inside punch slightly higher, like to the face or from a taller opponent, can be wedged out from the inside by punching a straight path to the opponent's face.
In both cases, hitting the opponent is the primary objective, not parrying the attack, but the opponents attack is deflected by the use of punching technique and angle.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't use either term. Both sound like arm-chasing tactics.
What term do you use to describe an attack being prevented through the placement of another attack. For me the deflection happens as a by-product of good positioning while attacking. Not due to chasing the limbs. Redirection happens as well and because of good positioning of the body and elbows control of the limb happens. It isn't chasing it is just what happens and those are the terms used to describe those happens.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thx!

Same thing as far as I'm concerned. Everything else is just semantics. If you deflect something it has been redirected. And a deflection is not necessarily "hand chasing." I could be punching someone so that I am deflecting their punch while I am hitting them....ie...a "cutting" punch or "excluding" punch. That certainly isn't "hand chasing." And in the process I have "redirected" their punch off of the centerline and the line to its intended target.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, the words deflection and redirection can be used correctly and still mean different things to different people. If you want to know more about what the author of that article meant, he's easy enough to contact. Check out his website.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What term do you use to describe an attack being prevented through the placement of another attack.

I think the point is to think of attack, and not to think of deflecting and redirecting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the point is to think of attack, and not to think of deflecting and redirecting.
Those are techniques used in attacking/defending. That's like saying, "The point is to think of attack,and not to think about blocking and moving."

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good way to end up with what is known in HEMA as a "double kill."

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Danny T] as I stated; "...through the placement of another attack."
But that doesn't answer the question.[/QUOTE]

It does answer the question. It's called attacking centre, or VT. There isn't any need to call it something special because it is a consequence of attacking with VT, not a goal in itself.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are techniques used in attacking/defending. That's like saying, "The point is to think of attack,and not to think about blocking and moving."

If you attack with VT you don't need to think of blocking and moving, redirecting and deflecting. You just attack

Latest Discussions