Telling someone they'd be better at kata than kumite.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
When i competed in Kata at a tournament in November, I was chatting to this black belt i knew who was from another dojo. He was telling me than some people are better at one thing than another. Then he said to me, I think you'd be better at kata than kumite. This is despite the fact he's from another dojo and never sees me except at seminars and tournaments. And despite the fact I havent done any kumite yet in competition. so how would he or I know what I'd be better at? Can a black belt say that? and do you think its right to say? Just wondering......

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
When i competed in Kata at a tournament in November, I was chatting to this black belt i knew who was from another dojo. He was telling me than some people are better at one thing than another. Then he said to me, I think you'd be better at kata than kumite. This is despite the fact he's from another dojo and never sees me except at seminars and tournaments. And despite the fact I havent done any kumite yet in competition. so how would he or I know what I'd be better at? Can a black belt say that? and do you think its right to say? Just wondering......

NEVER EVER EVER EVER QUESTION A BLACK BELT !!!!!. EVER!!!!!

A black belt is the epitome of knowledge in martial arts. I mean they've been training for like, at least, four years. That's like questioning someone who has a bachelors degree.

Tell your condescending friend (from another dojo) to f' off, btw. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a backward compliment. I wouldn't worry about that guy's opinion, but the best you can do, is better than him at fighting and then say something to rub it in like, "I'm not sure either one of the events are your forte; you seem more fitted to telemarketing.":mst:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

But just because he can doesn't mean that he's correct or that his comment has any basis in fact. When someone makes an assessment for which they likely do not have the knowledge to be making with any authority, I like to ask them why. 'Oh? Why do you say that?'

They'll either surprise you with some insight or dig a deeper hole. Usually the latter.

Daniel

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If he has never seen you compete in kumite and has only seen your forms he can't give an accurate opinion. But if he thinks your kata are nice, that's a good thing. At this point it comes to bunkai. If u can apply the kata you can fight.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
NEVER EVER EVER EVER QUESTION A BLACK BELT !!!!!. EVER!!!!!

A black belt is the epitome of knowledge in martial arts. I mean they've been training for like, at least, four years. That's like questioning someone who has a bachelors degree.

:D

Love the sarcasm :)

He's only a shodan. Hardly big enough to have his own dojo. Just thought I'd mention.

Thanks for the comments btw. :)

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have definitely known people who are better at one or the other but you do need to see both to tell if that is the case.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he's never seen you do kumite, then I'm not sure how he could judge what you're better at. If he was from your dojo or saw you on a regular basis, then yeah, I could see someone giving their opinion.

Myself...if someone told me they were entering a tournament and asked my advice as to what they should compete in, I'm going to be honest with them. Why sugar coat something?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in highschool, my best friend studied Shotokan. He was an outstanding fighter, the type you wanted on your team in a good old fashioned slobber knocker. However, his tournament fighting was crap. He couldn't remove himself from tournament fighting vs non-tournament fighting. It was all a dog pit fight to him.

So his sensei tuned up his kata performance skills & that's what he did in tournaments. Really freaking good too. A lesser skilled (naturally & taught) fighter in his school was the tournament fighting ace in the school, because he was taught how to work it in the rules of tournament fighting.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My two cents and it might sound like I am babbling.

What he said to you shows he has no idea what he is talking about.

A black belt with a strong background in kata is not someone to mess with. To an uneducated person, kata is just fighting air. But what they don't understand is that each movement, if done properly has really nasty results. One of the reasons why kata is practiced like that is that a martial artist would cause injuries to real live person.

Then you hear arguments about "stress testing" and "the need to know what it is like to be in a fight". Which is where bunkai comes in. Of course kumite is important. Just because someone is good at kumite does not mean they are good martial artists. In terms of self defense, people need to realize kumite is not real life. In kumite, you are restricted from using certain techniques. If you have that mindset in a self defense situation, you could be in trouble.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen people who are great kata people but not real good and tournament kumite. However could wipe the floor with someone on the street. Its all relative really, I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly that type of comment does not surprise me coming from someone with a Shodan, its typical of inexperience.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in highschool, my best friend studied Shotokan. He was an outstanding fighter, the type you wanted on your team in a good old fashioned slobber knocker. However, his tournament fighting was crap. He couldn't remove himself from tournament fighting vs non-tournament fighting. It was all a dog pit fight to him.

So his sensei tuned up his kata performance skills & that's what he did in tournaments. Really freaking good too. A lesser skilled (naturally & taught) fighter in his school was the tournament fighting ace in the school, because he was taught how to work it in the rules of tournament fighting.

I love this phrasing! I completley understand this type of a fighter and why kata would help slow down his mind, relax him and get him to focus on technique. It would also keep him from breaking the rules.:) To put Kata above kumite, or Kumite above kata seems a bit shallow and straight jacketted to me. It's like some guy standing up on a block waving his arms wildly yelling " I'm a Black Belt, Look'it ME"

Lori

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not unusal for someone to be stronger in one area compared to the other. There are many individuals who thrive on kata competition at the national and world level, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in a fight with them in a dark alley. For example, someone the likes of Clay Morton, is an excellent example. He's a world champ at kata, and I'll bet dollars to dimes that he can certainly do well in kumite.

You also have excellent kumite folks who spend more time on their kumite, than their kata, since they know that is where they thrive. Someone the likes of Tommy Hood (now a coach with the US National Team) has always been known as an excellent kumite practitioner. Despite his excellence in kumite (or maybe because of it...), his kata is as solid as any, and I've always enjoyed both his kata and kumite clinics.

I'm not going to kid anyone... My stronger points in competition are in empty hand kata, as well as kobudo. Even if my sport kumite isn't as good as the upper echelon, rest assured, I'm going to give you a good match, and win more often than not. When someone says "your kata is better than your kumite," I simply think of it as reinforcing that which I already know.

Just enjoy the competition, and train the way you want to train. As long as you're happy with what you're doing, then there's no sense in wasting precious calories over one person's opinion. :)

Latest Discussions