Tell me about your first day of training..

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first training in ITF Taekwondo was before 12 years, when I was 12.

Not good memory, all we did was straight punch from sitting stance. For one and a half hour, with rest periods. Imagine how interesting it was to a 12 years old child! Next time I trained Taekwondo was with 17 years, 5 years later.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first day at the Dojo was over 20 years ago, so my memories aren't quite so clear. I do remember my mom and I sitting down and meeting with one of the instructors when I was signing up, and explaining why I wanted to learn karate. I think I said that I wanted to know how to defend myself in case I was attacked, or robbed, blahblahblah. But I'm sure it was more due to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles more than anything. :ultracool

I remember bits and pieces from my first class. I remember a senior kyu belt taking me aside and teaching me some basic "blocks". I put blocks in quotations, because at first I had NO idea what he was talking about. Keep in mind, I'm an 8 or 9 year old girl with zero concept of fighting or defending oneself, so I kept having this image in my mind of lego-blocks or something every time he said "block". The class format doesn't allow for much explanation or context to newcomers, and you just get thrown and and basically follow along with the other students.

I stepped back into the exact same dojo at age 30 - it was like stepping into a timewarp. The dojo looked almost identical, except the walls were now covered in wood-panelling. The floor hadn't changed one bit - a little more beat up and careworn. The class format was almost identical, starting with a jog around the perimeter of the dojo, stretching and calisthenics, basic blocks/punches/kicks, katas, and then self-defense practice. It was surreal how much came back to me after so many years.

To tell the truth, I was a little put off by my first class back. I didn't much care for it when I was younger, so I was wary about making the same mistake a second time. But I gave it a chance and stuck with it, and I'm very glad that I did. I'm almost a year back into training and I'm 100% hooked.

Sorry for the long read. :uhyeah:

JonWal

White Belt
Reaction score
Im 30 yearsold and I started training Wado Karate approx 6 months ago. I'm lucky that I manage to keep a blog of every training session I do.. ( I use it mainly to remember stuff as my memory really is bad) Its funny now reading back on my first ever Karate session...

02/08/2012Turned up for first training session on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] August 2012. Played Dodgeball, with the punishment of getting hit = 20 Press- ups. Many stretches, jogging, more stretches. Learnt some individual kicks and punches. More stretches. I’m so unfit. Finished off the hour session with sprints, pushups, sprint, sit-ups, sprint, Jumping Jacks, sprints, squat thrusts, sprint and finally some squat thrust/ jumping jack combination. Shortly after collapsed in a sweaty heap. Limped home….

Surprised I stuck with it actually... :)

Darko

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh.. My first day.. It was as early as 9 month's ago. 3 months prior to my first day, in my nineteenth year i decided that i finally should abandon my life as a couch potato and start working out. So i started to run, and to work out at the gym. Soon i realized that true power and strength that i was seeking couldn't be found in a gym. The strength to feel safe, the knowledge that you can protect the ones you love, couldn't be found there. So i started to search for marital arts school in my town, and in the nearby city where i am going to college. And after a lot of people pointed me to one school of wing chun in my little province town, i decided that i should take a look at it. The first few training's were free, and you could feel that it was not about money. (A feel that i haven't yet lost.) The si fu, Drazen Pantelic (second master degree, under the guidance and lineage of grandmaster William Cheung), had a good record of martial arts history behind him. But, i never thought that it would be that difficult. Ok, it's true that i was just 3 months into ANY kind of exercises, and was a little overweight, 95kg on 185cm, but it was hard the first day. But i decided to not give up, not on the current exercise or the training as a whole. The first day my best friend went with me too, to see how it is (he later quit). And it was hard to the core of our souls, my lung felt like it is going to give up (my luck that i never smoked and ate healthy, the only unhealthy thing about my lifestyle prior to that was the none existing exercising). I nearly fainted, but i decided that i should rather faint then give up, and in the end, i barely made it, but i made it!
There where a lot of training seasons that where even harder then that one, but with that in mind "i will rather faint , then give up", i made a wonderful progress, and now, one year later i am at 75kg, with a ripped body, huge stamina (i just need some more strength), and i am a second degree wing chun student. Never give up on yourself. :)

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, not my first day, but last night was my first day back at the club that ignited my interest in the martial arts in the first place, 21 years ago I started here on a Thursday.

I moved away after 4 years training with these guys, but now I am back and surprisingly it is still in the same place, at the same time and although we all look older there were a lot of familiar faces when I returned.

First day nerves were with me, but I was welcomed back as if I had never had to leave in the first place. Great training, sweat was pouring and there were a lot of laughs and good moments spent reminiscing.

Roll on next Thursday.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training was yesterday. I found an interesting Aikido dojo and I decided to give it a try.

The people were really nice, I was first taught breakfalls while others were practicing some throws but we quickly moved on. The instructor said that I wasn't hindered by the fear of falling so we could practice the waza (I wish I were taught breakfalls when I was a kid, it sure would have helped hahaha).

I practiced several pinning techniques and learned a tiny bit about the principles of the art. I guess it's natural for a beginner but I sometimes had some trouble not to use my strength. I practiced some body movements, trying to learn how to make the techniques work. And when they did, I was surprised at the ridiculously tiny amount of strength you need to drag a 170 lbs man.

An interesting fact was that, as there are a few black belts in the dojo, every beginner could practice with a BB. I had three different instructors (plus one of the two Shidoin wandering around and correcting everyone's mistakes) and, beside the fact that they were excellent teachers, I could see that everyone had his own approach on Aikido. The way they practice it vary due to their body type, their philosophy, etc. While we were doing a sitting exercise, the older of the BB showed me that a subtle change in the positioning of your hand could open your opponent's whole body. "Just relax and find the path where you don't need strength." I tried the way he did and I managed to succeed somehow a couple of times.

I begin to see how rich and interesting Aikido can be and I can't wait until tomorrow! :D

Rokuta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 experiences with 2 different martial arts.

1. In the fall of 2002 I signed up to take TKD during my final semester of college under an instructor who had a school just a few miles away. As a way to boost interest he also held classes at GMU. So on the first day all of us show up in assorted workout gear and stood around in an old, hot campus gym without AC. Aside from going over basic etiquette and learning the warm up and some simple moves, and ordering Gis and pads nothing much happened. It was fun and not many people dropped out over the next four months. At the end of the class that semester we were given the option to continue training with the TKD school, but just coming out of college I didn’t have a job or funds so I demurred. Sometime the following February or March I was able to take up the offer and trained twice a week for about 5 months. It didn’t feel like there was much camaraderie, but it was a long drive for me and I mostly wanted to get home after a long day. Being the only student in his early 20’s didn’t help as most were kids or adults. During sparring practice one Thursday night I executed a roundhouse kick poorly (my opponent was padded and not harmed btw) and hit this kids arm just below the ball of my foot, then I dropped in agony. After a break to check for broken bones I just managed to finish class, hobbled to the car, and drove home. The following morning (I worked really early shifts) I couldn’t stand on it and had to call in sick. It was sore and wobbly for weeks after so I chickened out and never attended another TKD class.

2. Ten years later I ran across Ninpo, started doing some reading, and ultimately began looking for a class in my area. I found one just 40 minutes down the road, which meets in a local park, rain or shine, year round. "Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather". Just before Christmas 2012 I drove down and had my first lesson. Keep in mind that ten years had passed since my last class and an office job added 70-80 pounds to me. I’m 5’10” 215# right now so I have made progress. Warm-ups were hard, but not impossible. Sensei had me and a couple other new and newish students work on rolls, Zenpo Kaiten and Koho Kaiten. No problem. Piece of cake. I used to love doing rolls in TKD. Cue laugh track. Nope, I was an ungainly mess at zenpo and couldn’t do a single koho. :D Those first few classes all run together, but I think the main theme for that day was Omote and Ura Gyaku throws ending in a breakfall. We finished off the last half hour working on escaping from choke holds on the ground and standing up, and there is a picture of me on their website being smothered to demonstrate the technique. I loved it and have been attending ever since!

So now I'm 32, but finally making progress in martial arts and enjoying every minute.

DavidMoreland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First a little history: So being from said city I was obligated to be involved in every sport we had for us to have enough to field a team (I ~ only like to compete!!) would not have had it any other way however)

Anyway, we just have one gym clearly so in-the winter we had 2 practices (boys basketball and girls volleyball) that had to-share the gym. On The Other Hand, the TKD group that I had been dying to try started at 7:30 in a town 15 miles away. Much to the dismay of my team mates, coaches, and every volleyball loving member of-the community, I joined TKD anyhow, so I could go to TKD leaving VB training at 7. Obviously, my VB playing time got cut, but I did not care, I had been in love!!!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
my first training day was at least 3 years ago, i don't remember much besides there was only two students(already including me) and a 7th degree instructor. what i do remember it was tiring but if your patient and don't give up it gets easier. just REMEMBER:everyday is considered progress as long as your not goofing around and your trying your doing great.

Nighthawk

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training... To answer, you need to understand my physical condition. I had, 6 years before, torn my latissimus dorsi on the right side, down about my waist, where my body bends. I felt a quick pain, and then woke up in the hospital with a bruise all over the right side of my body. Spent 6 months on bedrest and painkillers, and it totally ruined my metabolism. I have a knot in my back that will never go away. I got really, really lazy and blew up like a balloon. I went from 250lbs to 450lbs. So fast forward a few years. I met a guy by the name of Justin Butler in a local bar, and started chatting with him. We became instant friends. I found out he was a karate teacher. My son wanted to learn karate, so I put him into Justin's school. Justin spent several years trying to convince me to join. I was going to college, and looking for a job, and blah blah blah... So one day, I was in the park playing with my kids. I sprained my ankles- both of them- and went to the doctor, where I found out by way of the scale what a horrifying fatass I had become. I got home from the doctor's office and immediately called Justin to tell "OK. I'm in." I started that night, 450lbs and sprained ankles. My first day of training, I could barely make it down the stairs to the dojo and no one made a uniform big enough to fit me. My first day of training was awkward, painful, embarassing... and amazing! Since that day, I have lost 150lbs, and have gotten my shodan black belt in both Shotokan karate and Hakkoryu jiujitsu. I am a medical nightmare on my right side- carpel tunnel in my wrist, messed up muscle in my back, spine deformity that used to cause me sciatic pain, and arthritis in my right knee. The idea of taking karate terrified me. I learned a lot my first night of training- about my friend Justin Sensei and myself. So there you are! My first day of training, and the events that got me there.

Mamatiger

White Belt
Reaction score
My 8 year old had been doing TKD for 6 months. When my husband came in to watch our child practice the instructor invited him to join then he asked to bring me in. 10 minutes into warming up I thought I was going to die! The warm up was more of a make or break your body routine (at least that's how I felt.) I used to hate sweating! 2 weeks later I find myself hooked and pushing myself harder physically than ever before. Now MA is a family event and we never miss a class!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had three "first days of training."

Day 1: I attended a judo school in Troy NY. The first day we had to do cartwheels and rolls and all kinds of stuff. Some of it came easier than other moves. I remember being a little nervous to look ridiculous, but then I figured if I wanted to take the class, I HAD to do it.

Day 2: I went to a "kung fu" school in Albany NY. This guy favored his tai chi training over kung fu, and it really didn't teach you anything that worked in the way of self-defense. Good aerobic workout though. In any event, I remember being frustrated because I wasn't as flexible as the other students. But again, I worked on it and ignored what others could do.

Day 3: I started at my wing chun school. Honestly I never felt even the slightest bit nervous or self-conscious because the style fit me like a glove, and I have never looked back.

Roger Tyson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didnt have a clue was I was getting myself into. It was about 15 years ago and I was not in very good shape. I remember thinking it was hell. But I kept coming back, many times thinking that I had to be crazy that actually paid for it. It was a crazy philosophy in that club. Like training for more than 2 hours without being allowed to take a single sip of water. And many other things that I now think was just wrong. A style and instructur from Iran. But I soon found another style that made a lot more sense.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well in my first training with my latest school, I actually shocked.
All the knowledge and perception I gained from my previous martial arts were going to the drain (well now I looked back it not the martial art it self, it just the perception I was being lead to from the training that was naive because of my casualness).
Anyway seeing from a new perspective that's makes me curious and continue to train until now.
Back then forcing my will was the only way to win, now I know (haven't actually understand fully) that you can win by letting the opposition think they reach their intention.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My first day, was a bit different than I thought. Thought I would come in and get some basics, maybe learn kicks or punches, but it was the day before a holiday weekend and the instructors decided to have a fun knife practice day. So my wife asks "how was your first martial arts class?" ...."well honey I learned how to kill someone with a knife today - it was great!...." "ummmm what !?"...about 6 weeks after this one of our schools founders/leaders came to town for my first long weekend workshop, again the wife asks "so how was your first special workshop?" "Great !! I got choked with my own belt! look at these belt burns on my neck !"

Never too late in life to have a happy adolescence

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive had a couple (or more) first days of training over the years in different places. I'll give 3:

1. Picked up books on karate and judo by Bruce Tegner in 1961 or 62. Myself and 3 friends went to the local beach (where we where everyday in summer) and proceeded to try to learn the varrious throws and kicks in a grassy area off to the side of the beach. (( I continued in karate till this day and one of those friends became a black belt in judo))

2. My first day in Tae Kwoon Do. I was the only adult student and there where 3 kids all under 10 years of age who where relatives of the instructor. We learned one stance and 3 kicks and a couple blocks.

3. My first day in Sikaran: I was given to a 10 years old. He taught me blocks , stances, kicks, punches. He was my instructor for a couple weeks until my instructor felt I was willing to learn and wanted enough to be in class that I would listen and take directions from anyone who had more knowledge of the system then I did

Ricky Fox

White Belt
Reaction score
It was a beautiful sunny day, walking to the venue where i had to do my first practice then i felt a bit nervous on how to execute properly and there's a lot of question in my mind at that time...but onwards i did the best and it is really fun doing it.

Ricky Fox

White Belt
Reaction score
What a refreshing day doing my practice, good ambiance along with the cool breeze of the air and the rays of the sun hits your skin that able to sweat that could energized you more...legal expandable batons

Probs92

White Belt
Reaction score
When I started practicing karate as a kid, I was obsessed with the perceived mystic aspect of it. As I grew older, and middle school led to being bullied, karate became a refuge for me. By the time I got to college, karate was where I found stress relief and grounding.

Eventually I obtained the rank of Shodan and then Nidan in GoJu Ryu karate, but by that time I explored other martial arts as well, namely Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wing Chun, and Karate.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few "firsts" as I've moved around and studied with a few different folks over the years.

1. Shuri-ryu karate - I was about 10 yrs old and extremely excited/nervous. It was with my brother and the sensei did a private class for our first class to essentially see if we could listen. We learned some basic blocks and strikes. It was a blast.

2. Chen family taiji - I met him for coffee first so he could guauge me on my interests/background. What surprised me about my first session was how much I sweated. I was a physically fit guy but was totally unused to the postures and holding my body weight those ways.

3. BJJ - over 1 1/2 yrs ago now. I had never done any grappling before so I didn't know my head from my ***. I think it was either the RNC or a cross collar choke that I learned and then it was time to spar! I got my rear end handed to me over and over. It was humbling and had me hooked.

I have had other firsts but these few stuck out to me.

Latest Discussions