Teens

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
personally as a teen i keep myself going a few ways.

1.) My inner demons. (i have a lot of them and MA keeps them at bay.)

2.) Martial Arts movies (theres nothing like trying to reenact Neo vs simith, well trying to anyways)

3.) Tournaments (I got to TKD Mcdojo tournaments and it feels good when i get to show off and win a couple trophys)

4.) Massage therpy (my MA class offers this and i wanna make the woman I marry happy one day, and also its an ice braker with some girls wile dating, or at school)

5.) bad people (the need to protect myself, others and property.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jim said:
I give them a hiding and yell at them like a drill instructor. They don't get that anywhere else and love it. But that's me... I hate teenagers for all the reasons you said.
:rofl:

Gold

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
umm i keep going cus my inst is cute...but besides that i go cus its a great way to get rid of stress....the self defense is nice for a college student, the hard work does show and because its fun, we hardly ever do the same thing twice in one week, and my inst are cool like when i cant do something they work with me and when im good at something they show me how to chalange myself more

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to use drills and games to put the basics into so it doesn't seem like we are doing the same thing over and over. I do a theme for a night that focuses on one type of basic and I use as many creative ways as possible to use that basic over and over.

I also treat teens as young adults and not children. Teens learn differently than children and adults, they can absord a lot of knowledge very quickly. When challenged a teen can often rise up higher than expected, and surprise you, and often themselves. If you treat a teen like they can handle any challenge you give them they often will try their best to meet your expectations. You just have treat them with the right attitude.

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
uuuh im a teen and the only thing that i like is to get something out of it, like i need in one yr. to have gotten a whole bunch of memories and messups and stuff and the basics arent always bad. You just need to add a little somethin to them. Okay in lacrosse, sorry i havent trained in a martial art since i was 7, we keep throwing the ball and doing the basics but the drills are extremely engaging and tricky. Try to make them do the basics with alittle zest, its nothin like working up a huge sweat when your doing anything. Then you could tell them something that would make them, if they wanted to become better, like to make there kicks faster how to do that or to make their punches faster then tell them that. Man this is fun we finally give the advice heh heh heh.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A stranger saw me walking with my little daughter, he said when see reachs 13 years old? you will become history.

Hormones is a natural process in growing teens, their own discovery of themselves and the other species(Boys or Girls), thoughts of being so grown up and want to be with their peers more. We can't stop this, we were once teens too.

One thing that works, Dad and Mom saids you have to contiune to train. That's the law. When you leave high school, then you can make your own decision.

Two, Every school knows the drop out rate for teens are high. We all try to modivate them to keep up the learning of martial arts. Many times they find part-time jobs, and want to hang around friends,then train.

As instructors all we can do is be a mentor for them to follow. Be creative and honest. Hopefully they will attend classes. making it fun helps, but the ones that stay want to learn (they are the ones that enjoy the martial arts)

One more thing, We let most of the teens become leaders in class, teaching the lower ranks when we break into smaller groups,or lead the whole class thur excerise, and so on. We praise alot too. ....'Aloha

L

lvwhitebir

still learning said:
One thing that works, Dad and Mom saids you have to contiune to train. That's the law. When you leave high school, then you can make your own decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's not the law, at least not in the US. If your Mom and Dad says to have to be in the room, well then they can enforce this but there's no law saying you have to do what they say. And they can't make you train nor make you want to train. And, what instructor would want someone in the class who truly doesn't want to be there? It'll distract the others that do.

Your other ideas are good, but I would never fall back on this argument to convince someone to train.

WhiteBirch

O

OC Kid

Very true. I tell my students I can teach you but I cant make you learn. So why would a parent force a child/teen into a class they dont want to take and suffer the expense/time/hassle and why would a instructor tolerate a student who obviously doesnt want to be there.
Unless I misunderstood the post?????

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most parent push thier kids into a class, because they fell for the tripe about MA and disicipline, And then if the kid is not interested it is a chronic discipline problem ans lketting them quit would reenforce "quitting pattern".
Todd

O

OC Kid

Yea yer right there. My bud has a school and I saw how he interacted with some of the students and parents ect. He told me some stories of parents calling him and having him talk to his about not doing their homework ect.

He had adults talking to him about their marital problems ect.
I told him Jeff my brother you arent a psychologist a marriage couselor your a Karate instructor..just tell them to go seek counseling...
When they pay ya sometimes they think they own ya.