Teen Black Belt Busted After Near-Deadly Kick

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
After some thought, I decided to come back and reply to this...

Google fu alone turns up thousands of scholarly articles about studies that demonstrate the emotional trauma of spanking and corporal punishment. You can't act like this body of research doesn't exist. Does this "prove" that beatings cause emotional trauma? No, that's impossible, but there is a good case for it.

Child abuse is like a bomb in the brain when it comes to violence. It matters.

In reality, yes. I feel comfortable in stating that beatings cause emotional (and physical) trauma in children. Does this mean that parents don't have a choice to beat their children if they wish? Sure, but they will pay the consequences later. The parents suffer, the child suffers, and society suffers when we agress against the young. And I believe that parents have the right choose, just as anyone has the right to choose, even if the choice is...well...evil.

My argument against beating a child is a moral one. Children are humans who have rights, wishes and goals. When we beat a child to force them to conform to our expectations, we literally stomp on those rights, wishes and goals. We make them into our slaves. If beating was the only way to control children, there would be little to argue about. The fact that people can raise their children without resorting to violence begs the question, why would anyone choose to beat their children at all?

Imagine teaching the young ones from an early age that it's bad to use force to get what you want and then breaking that principle in order to get what you want. What kind of view of violence is this child going to develop? Imagine a society filled with people that have this drummed into their heads. What would they do? At the very least, they probably will continue to beat their children. At the very least, they might even commit assault after loosing in a karate tournament.

At some point, I believe humanity will realize that child abuse is the largest obstacle to living in a free society. It's not enough for slaves to decide not to be slaves. The masters need to decide not to be masters.

I wouldn't compare appropriate spanking with "beating a child" or "child abuse". Again, you can find just as many psychologists that feel that in the earlier years a swat on the bottom is much more effective at shaping behavior than anything else because a child CANNOT use logic or understand what you are trying to say, in fact, they really don't understand what you mean when you say "you're disappointed" in them. A small amount of pain will curtail behavior, just as if they touch a hot stove they have now learned not to ever do that again. Intellectually explaining things to a small child is like trying to lecture your dog.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually known dogs who are more intelligent than some people!

I think actually we have some cultural differences with Europe and America where the raising of children are concerned, at least it seems like that. I think we feel that Americans have been heavily influenced by Dr. Spock and certainly 'teenagers' were invented in America where they seem to be far more affluent than certainly our children are. In martial arts certainly America seems to be light years ahead of us in the marketing of it to families and especially children, as well as 'exploring' the more entertainment and show business side of the arts. (I'm trying to be diplomatic about the dancing styles and the weapons comps)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've actually known dogs who are more intelligent than some people!

I think actually we have some cultural differences with Europe and America where the raising of children are concerned, at least it seems like that. I think we feel that Americans have been heavily influenced by Dr. Spock and certainly 'teenagers' were invented in America where they seem to be far more affluent than certainly our children are. In martial arts certainly America seems to be light years ahead of us in the marketing of it to families and especially children, as well as 'exploring' the more entertainment and show business side of the arts. (I'm trying to be diplomatic about the dancing styles and the weapons comps)

I would agree with that. There is a lot backlash of child psychologists of alot of what Dr. Spock said (at least when I was earning my bachelor in psych.) and stuff that hasn't panned out. I remember a big newstory here was some Europeans (can't remember from where exactly) left their child in a stroller outside the restaurant while they went in to eat. There was a HUGE public outcry here about how "bad" it was, then they dismissed the charges when it was found out that this was perfectly acceptable where they were from and were only doing what was the norm there.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't compare appropriate spanking with "beating a child" or "child abuse". Again, you can find just as many psychologists that feel that in the earlier years a swat on the bottom is much more effective at shaping behavior than anything else because a child CANNOT use logic or understand what you are trying to say, in fact, they really don't understand what you mean when you say "you're disappointed" in them. A small amount of pain will curtail behavior, just as if they touch a hot stove they have now learned not to ever do that again. Intellectually explaining things to a small child is like trying to lecture your dog.

I've worked with humans from age 6 to 19 in the course of my career. At all ages they were capable of reason and logic to some degree. The challenge with parenting is that often we don't know how to talk to young humans so that they will understand. They aren't adults and they have different brains. A parenting class is a great way to bridge the gap and I highly recommend that everyone give it a try. Pain doesn't have to be part of our communication.

Striking a child is a choice. It's not the only choice and it certainly isn't the best choice, IMO.