Techniques on both sides?

H

Hefeweizen

Does anyone out there practice techniques on both sides? For instance, Five Swords is intended for a right hand punch, but you could learn it for the left side as well. I'm only a yellow belt and I've started learning my favorites on both sides, but I'm curious if others practice some or all of them from both sides.

Thanks
Aaron

OP
A

Arithon

I can't imagine why you wouldn't practice all techniques on both sides. Practising the other side also gives you a different perspective on the technique which can be useful.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Even if you don't practice them on both sides at the beginning, you'll have to do in the forms later.

OP
Y

yilisifu

I imagine that it was intended to be practiced on both sides.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In our school we practice techniques on both sides.

It is a good way of looking at the 'opposite' portion of the principles of Opposite and Reverse Motion.

Les

P.S.
We also have a fun way of working the 'reverse' portion too.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it's a good way to balance yourself practicing on both sides.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I believe it's a good way to balance yourself practicing on both sides.

The Kenpo system I learn I practice the way it is designed, right side dominant. If you'd like to waste your time doing it on the left, feel free.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
The Kenpo system I learn I practice the way it is designed, right side dominant. If you'd like to waste your time doing it on the left, feel free.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
And in most instances, Mr. O'Brient isn't this foolish. Working your techniques is never a waste of time, wether it be left side, right side or backwards. It all makes you a better Kenpoist.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Seig
And in most instances, Mr. O'Brient isn't this foolish. Working your techniques is never a waste of time, wether it be left side, right side or backwards. It all makes you a better Kenpoist.

I don't consider it foolish not to practice on the left side but practical. I don't care how much you train on the left, your brain will respond in the primal mode under stress (dominant side) besides the fact that there is already a left side of techniques built into the system if you dig a bit, just another Kenpo secret that most don't discover.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde T. O'BRIANT

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Sorry, I spelled your name wrong. But, Mr. Obriant, what about the person who is naturally left handed, such as myself? Yes, I learn all the techniques right handed as the system is laid out, but my natural tendency is to use my left. I also have quite a few left handed students. Yes, I realize that there are left handed techniques built into the sytem, they are not however as prevelant as the right side techs.

OP
J

Jill666

We learn the techniques with the right side dominant, yes, but I make a point of using both sides.

One, sometimes (not often) I'm actually more comfortable executing from the left.

Two, it helps you develop strength and speed from your "dumb" side, making you a more effective Kenpoist.

Three, it forces you to think about why the move works, and you become less complacent. You learn the principle behind the technique so you can develop it fully. Then you can better adapt when an opponent does not react in just the way you trained for. If you know the idea behind the technique, you'll know instantly if you can adapt to apply it effectively, or if you need to counter with something else.
I know if you learn and drill & drill until it becomes fully developed from one side you can adapt in this manner also, I'm just saying this helps me think it through more.

Hope that's clearly expressed.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The IKKA Purple Belt Journal lists the following in the prerequisites for Purple Belt.

"Practice your techniques on both sides to equally develop your co-ordination".

It seems logical to me to practice on both sides, and it will figure in the forms, so why not introduce it early on?

Les

OP
F

FLY

In our dojo, up to the fourth tech in green is taught/practiced on only the right side. Everything after that is done on both sides.
Once/if a person reaches shodan, then everything is done on both sides right from the beginning of yellow before they move on.

FLY.
:asian:

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that this one comes down to personal preferance. If you want to practise both sides to make yourself a more effective kenpoist....great. If you want to practise the oppoisite side because you are left-handed....great. If you want to spend all your time practising the techniques as they are taught and use the time to see how effective they are against the opposite side attacking.....great.

As soon as you make it a requirement, that's when I don't agree with it. To walk through them to get a feel for the other side is one thing, but to become as proficient as your dominant side on your weak side is not something I would prefer to do.

Rob

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo
As soon as you make it a requirement, that's when I don't agree with it. To walk through them to get a feel for the other side is one thing, but to become as proficient as your dominant side on your weak side is not something I would prefer to do.

Rob

Rob,

It was Mr Parkers requirement.

Are we going to say 'Well, if you want to walk the forms and sets through thats up to you, but to become proficient with the basics should be optional'?

Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo
Unfortunatly I don't study EPAK, I'd like to someday. But I don't right now so I am not subject to his requirements.

Rob

Rob,

That a fair point.

I'll take my blinkers off :)

Les

OP
R

rmcrobertson

"It was Mr. Parker's requirement?"

Les, could you show me where this requirement was set down?

I've got a tape of a 1985 black belt test in West LA, with Mr. Parker and Larry Tatum presiding. Bob Lyles, Dian Tanaka, Jeff Speakman, Scott Higgins, Brian Hawkins, Barbara Hale, etc., etc., are all on that test--and nobody does even one technique on both sides, except in a form.

My understanding--surprise, surprise--is that Clyde's right. The basic arguments are: a) the dominant side's the right, for biological aand cultural reasons (as well as, I suspect, vaguer and perhaps even sexist reasons); b) very few will use the left; c) the "right-sided techs" work perfectly well against left-sided attacks; d) the forms will gradually bring the two sides into something resembling balance.

But I also agree that this is where we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thanks.