Techniques not usually seen in MMA

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn’t there a rule where you can’t kick a downed opponent? I think you can if you’re both on the ground somehow?

If memory serves me right, it was implemented after the savate guy kicked the sumo guy and some teeth went flying in one of the early UFC tournaments.
The downed opponent rule is different, and there are actually two versions of it based on which state is regulating. I can't honestly remember the difference between them ATM.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn’t there a rule where you can’t kick a downed opponent? I think you can if you’re both on the ground somehow?

If memory serves me right, it was implemented after the savate guy kicked the sumo guy and some teeth went flying in one of the early UFC tournaments.
The rule is just against kicking the head of a downed opponent. It was implemented many years later than the fight you reference (which was actually from UFC 1).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That was the very first fight in UFC history. That was Taylor Wiley who got his tooth kicked out. He plays Kamekona on Hawaii 5-0.

I remember watching that fight and thinking, "Oh, this is going to be a really interesting tournament."
(It was a tourny format back then)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was the very first fight in UFC history. That was Taylor Wiley who got his tooth kicked out. He plays Kamekona on Hawaii 5-0.

I remember watching that fight and thinking, "Oh, this is going to be a really interesting tournament."
(It was a tourny format back then)

Learn something new everyday! I googled that because I was thinking of the guy who did the kick. It was him from Hawaii 5-0. His name is Teila Tuli though.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rule is just against kicking the head of a downed opponent. It was implemented many years later than the fight you reference (which was actually from UFC 1).

I think UFC enforces it the same way across the board no matter what state.

The rule is basically no kicking/kneeing an opponent with "3 points of contact" on the ground. So, usually the feet and one hand. That has led to some interesting decisions on the application of the rule when you have someone keep putting their hand down to avoid getting a knee and some who will push on the opponent to lift the hand and knee them.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think UFC enforces it the same way across the board no matter what state.

The rule is basically no kicking/kneeing an opponent with "3 points of contact" on the ground. So, usually the feet and one hand. That has led to some interesting decisions on the application of the rule when you have someone keep putting their hand down to avoid getting a knee and some who will push on the opponent to lift the hand and knee them.

The new unified rules are enforced by the state commissions that license the fights.

The new unified rule explained.

A lot of people don't understand the grounded fighter rule. Here, let us help ...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Learn something new everyday! I googled that because I was thinking of the guy who did the kick. It was him from Hawaii 5-0. His name is Teila Tuli though.

Telia Tuli is an AKA. He goes by a couple variations of that, too.

Latest Discussions