Technique for the Reverse Punch

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was first taught the reverse punch, I was taught to throw it center, another words, to aim towards the center of the body. Then, at this other dojo I was taught to not center the reverse punch but rather to throw it straight forward because you get more power that way due to leverage. The tradeoff is its not as accurate against an opponent who would be standing directly in front and thus might require a step to the side in order to hit the center of the opponent's body. Personally I think both methods have their advantages and disadvantages and I think its easier to transition from a center punch to a forward punch than from a forward punch to a center punch.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a simple guy, can you draw a picture for us? In what way are you differentiating between throwing to centre and throwing straight forward?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
imo, if i use a reverse punch i like to do a technique before that. maybe something to slight distract the opponent or open up a certain target

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup, my old sensei was very good at throwing a high snap kick and transitioning straight to a punch to the bread-basket, knocked the air outa me a few times with that one.

Without the set-up it can be used as a direct response to an incoming high punch.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reverse punch, the backhand no?

yep, the reverse punch is done with the backhand

ZUdCU.gif

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you're taking about a different technique so much as a different target.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats how I was taught. Straight out. Move your body to target where you want to hit not your hand

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a simple guy, can you draw a picture for us? In what way are you differentiating between throwing to centre and throwing straight forward?

If you're standing in front of a mirror, to throw the reverse punch to the center would mean aiming it at the line that goes vertically directly through the center of the body of your mirror image, so you would be throwing it towards the solar plexus or some other target located on that center line. To throw it straight forward you would be aiming at a target on the line that goes vertically through the shoulder of the punching arm down through the same side leg as the punching arm.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you are confusing kihon with the practical application. In kihon the instructor could have your arm in either position without it being 'wrong' in either. In kihon I would teach it straight out from the shoulder, not to the centre, but that is just me. In application you will punch to wherever the target is. If your opponent is directly in front of you you would position your body, as ballen pointed out above, to deliver the strike with maximum power.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there is that much power difference between them.

if you desperately want to throw the thing straight out. Cut a little angle and you would hit them square on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

ok.looking at just the right hand.

it is on the right side of the body so if the punch is thrown straight it will land wide to the right.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my experience its easy to start throwing the punch straight out if you're used to throwing it center. Its much harder to transition to throwing it center if you're used to throwing it straight out.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want to punch towards your centre? If there isnt a target there is not that usually an indication that you've done something wrong/missed/been caught out.

The punch doesn't have to follow a completely straight line a la Wing Chun but in terms of correct body mechanics, a hook should travel through the same target (eventually) that a reverse does.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want to punch towards your centre? If there isnt a target there is not that usually an indication that you've done something wrong/missed/been caught out.

The punch doesn't have to follow a completely straight line a la Wing Chun but in terms of correct body mechanics, a hook should travel through the same target (eventually) that a reverse does.

I don't know about "travel[ing] through the same target"...

If we're facing each other, in a fairly square boxers stance, then a straight punch would be targeting the solar plexus. A hook would be targeting the ribs or liver. I like to think that I can generate a fair bit of power, for an Old Fart, but I don't think I could target the solar plexus with a hook. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

the idea is that mechanically you loose power because you are punching at an angle.

it is no longer 90 degrees from the body.

you could do it. But you would have to angle off.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If we're facing each other, in a fairly square boxers stance, then a straight punch would be targeting the solar plexus. A hook would be targeting the ribs or liver. I like to think that I can generate a fair bit of power, for an Old Fart, but I don't think I could target the solar plexus with a hook. :)
Certainly you can't hook to the solar plexus if you are in front, but if you are off the line when a hook would go straight in. Beautiful! A straight punch could take out the floating ribs. Same animal, just a different perspective.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Sorry, that was poorly worded. The trajectory takes the strike through your centre line. The target isnt necessarily the same. Anyway, I'm getting a bit muddled because not all my strikes go through my centre - my fault for posting 'on the go' earlier before going for a run - I sometimes fight side on. I think i know what we're talking about now.

the idea is that mechanically you loose power because you are punching at an angle.

it is no longer 90 degrees from the body.

you could do it. But you would have to angle off.

Ah, that makes sense. Not as powerful, but potentially an ackward little strike that might catch someone out. I do something similar with a jab when circling if my opponent lets me. I'll slide to more side on stance so my body changes angle as I strike and I still get a bit of zing from it.